Non-Preferential Trading Clubs
This paper examines the welfare implications of non-discriminatory tariff reforms by a subset of countries, which we term a non-preferential trading club. We show that there exist coordinated tariff reforms, accompanied by appropriate income transfers between the member countries, that unambiguously increase the welfare of these countries while leaving the welfare of non-members unaltered. In terms of economic policy implications, our results show that there exist regional, MFN-consistent arrangements that lead to Pareto improvements in world welfare.
|Date of creation:||28 Aug 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 38 15 25 75
Fax: 38 15 34 99
Web page: http://www.cbs.dk/departments/econ/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anderson, James E & Neary, J Peter, 1992. "Trade Reform with Quotas, Partial Rent Retention, and Tariffs," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 57-76, January.
- Bagwell,K. & Staiger,R.W., 1998.
"An economic theory of GATT,"
15, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Diewert, W E & Turunen-Red, A H & Woodland, A D, 1989. "Productivity- and Pareto-Improving Changes in Taxes and Tariffs," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(2), pages 199-215, April.
- Kyle Bagwell & Robert W. Staiger, 2002.
"Multilateral trade negotiations, bilateral opportunism and the rules of GATT/WTO,"
0102-37, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Bagwell, Kyle & Staiger, Robert W., 2004. "Multilateral trade negotiations, bilateral opportunism and the rules of GATT/WTO," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 1-29, May.
- J.P. Neary, 1997.
"Pitfalls in the Theory of International Trade Policy: Concertina Reforms of Tariffs and Subsidies to High Technology Industries,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0346, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Neary, J Peter, 1998. " Pitfalls in the Theory of International Trade Policy: Concertina Reforms of Tariffs, and Subsidies to High-Technology Industries," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 100(1), pages 187-206, March.
- J. P. Neary, 1997. "Pitfalls in the theory of international trade policy: concertina reforms of tariffs and subsidies to high technology industries," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20341, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Neary, J. P., 1997. "Pitfalls in the Theory of International Trade Policy: Concertina Reforms of Tariffs, and Subsidies to High-Technology Industries," Papers 97/26, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- Neary, J Peter, 1997. "Pitfalls in the Theory of International Trade Policy: Concertina Reforms of Tariffs and Subsidies to HIgh-Technology Industries," CEPR Discussion Papers 1740, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fukushima, Takashi & Kim, Namdoo, 1989. "Welfare improving tariff changes : A case of many goods and countries," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3-4), pages 383-388, May.
- C. Fred Bergsten, 1997.
Working Paper Series
WP97-3, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Kemp, M.C. & Shimomura, K., 1998.
"A Second Elementary Proposition Concerning the Formation of Customs Unions,"
98/09, New South Wales - School of Economics.
- Murray C. Kemp & Koji Shimomura, 2001. "A Second Elementary Proposition Concerning the Formation of Customs Unions," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 52(1), pages 64-69.
- Murray C. Kemp & Koji Shimomura, 1998. "A Second Elementary Proposition Concerning: The Formation of Customs Unions," Discussion Paper Series 95, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University, revised May 1998.
- Sontheimer, Kevin C, 1971. "The Existence of International Trade Equilibrium with Trade Tax-Subsidy Distortions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(6), pages 1015-35, November.
- Kemp, Murray C. & Wan, Henry Jr., 1976. "An elementary proposition concerning the formation of customs unions," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 95-97, February.
- Hatta, Tatsuo & Fukushima, Takashi, 1979. "The welfare effect of tariff rate reductions in a many country world," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 503-511, November.
- Mayer, Wolfgang, 1981. "Theoretical Considerations on Negotiated Tariff Adjustments," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(1), pages 135-53, March.
- John Kennan & Raymond Riezman, 1990.
"Optimal Tariff Equilibria with Customs Unions,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 23(1), pages 70-83, February.
- Srinivasan, T-N, 1996.
"The Common External Tariff of a Customs Union : Alternative Approaches,"
755, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Srinivasan, T. N., 1997. "The common external tariff of a customs union: Alternative approaches," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 447-465, December.
- Mark Melatos & Alan D. Woodland, 2007. "Pareto-optimal Delegation in Customs Unions," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(3), pages 441-461, 08.
- Turunen-Red, Arja H & Woodland, Alan D, 1991. "Strict Pareto-Improving Multilateral Reforms of Tariffs," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(4), pages 1127-52, July.
- Richardson, Martin, 1995. "On the Interpretation of the Kemp/Wan Theorem," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(4), pages 696-703, October.
- Diewert, W. E., 1973. "Functional forms for profit and transformation functions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 284-316, June.
- Arvind Panagariya, 2000. "Preferential Trade Liberalization: The Traditional Theory and New Developments," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 38(2), pages 287-331, June.
- Panagariya, Arvind & Krishna, Pravin, 2002. "On necessarily welfare-enhancing free trade areas," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 353-367, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:cbsnow:2004_006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lars Nondal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.