The common external tariff of a customs union: Alternative approaches
This paper describes alternative approaches to the central question of common external tariffs of a Custom Union. Taking off from the work of Kemp and Wan who showed the existence of a common external tariff of CU that deeps the welfare of non-members unchanged while revising that of the CU as compared to the situation prior to the formation of CU, it characterizes such a tariff structure for two leading benchmark examples as consumption-weighted average of pre-union tariffs and subsidies in the member countries.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ju, J. & Krishna, K., 1995.
"Market Access and Welfare Effects of Free Trade Areas Without Rules of Origin,"
11-95-3a, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Ju, J. & Krishna, K., 1996. "market Access and Welfare Effects of Free Trade Areas without Rules of origin," Papers 2-96-1, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Jiandong Ju & Kala Krishna, . "Market Access and Welfare Effects of Free Trade Areas without Rules of Origin," EPRU Working Paper Series 96-03, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Jiandong Ju & Kala Krishna, 1996. "Market Access and Welfare Effects of Free Trade Areas without Rules of Origin," NBER Working Papers 5480, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Winters, L Alan, 1997.
"Regionalism and the Rest of the World: The Irrelevance of the Kemp-Wan Theorem,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 49(2), pages 228-34, April.
- Winters, L. Alan, 1996. "Regionalism and the Rest of the World: The Irrelevance of the Kemp-Wan Theorem," CEPR Discussion Papers 1316, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kemp, Murray C. & Wan, Henry Jr., 1976. "An elementary proposition concerning the formation of customs unions," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 95-97, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:japwor:v:9:y:1997:i:4:p:447-465. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.