The common external tariff of a customs union: Alternative approaches
This paper describes alternative approaches to the central question of common external tariffs of a Custom Union. Taking off from the work of Kemp and Wan who showed the existence of a common external tariff of CU that deeps the welfare of non-members unchanged while revising that of the CU as compared to the situation prior to the formation of CU, it characterizes such a tariff structure for two leading benchmark examples as consumption-weighted average of pre-union tariffs and subsidies in the member countries.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jiandong Ju & Kala Krishna, "undated".
"Market Access and Welfare Effects of Free Trade Areas without Rules of Origin,"
EPRU Working Paper Series
96-03, Economic Policy Research Unit (EPRU), University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Jiandong Ju & Kala Krishna, 1996. "Market Access and Welfare Effects of Free Trade Areas without Rules of Origin," NBER Working Papers 5480, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ju, J. & Krishna, K., 1995. "Market Access and Welfare Effects of Free Trade Areas Without Rules of Origin," Papers 11-95-3a, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Ju, J. & Krishna, K., 1996. "market Access and Welfare Effects of Free Trade Areas without Rules of origin," Papers 2-96-1, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Winters, L Alan, 1997. "Regionalism and the Rest of the World: The Irrelevance of the Kemp-Wan Theorem," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 49(2), pages 228-234, April.
- Winters, L. Alan, 1996. "Regionalism and the Rest of the World: The Irrelevance of the Kemp-Wan Theorem," CEPR Discussion Papers 1316, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kemp, Murray C. & Wan, Henry Jr., 1976. "An elementary proposition concerning the formation of customs unions," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 95-97, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)