East Asian Regional Trade Agreements: Do They Promote Global Free Trade?
We quantitatively evaluate the effects different paths have on East Asian Regional Trade Agreements (RTA), which include expansionary, duplicate and overlapping RTAs. By applying a computable general equilibrium model analysis, we find that the static effect of existing, proposed and negotiating East Asian RTAs on world and members' welfare is sufficiently positive. It will lead to non-discriminatory global free trade, by triggering the domino effect of regionalism if the RTAs take an expansionary path by cooperating with each other, in contrast to competing to achieve the first mover advantage, or hub self-interest. Copyright 2006 Blackwell Publishing Ltd
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 11 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1361-374X|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=1361-374X|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter J. Lloyd & Donald Maclaren, 2004. "Gains and Losses from Regional Trading Agreements: A Survey," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 80(251), pages 445-467, December.
- Jong-Wha Lee & Innwon Park & Kwanho Shin, 2008.
"Proliferating Regional Trade Arrangements: Why and Whither?,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(12), pages 1525-1557, December.
- Jong-Wha Lee & Innwon Park & Kwanho Shin, 2005. "Proliferating Regional Trade Arrangements: Why and Whither?," International Trade 0501010, EconWPA.
- Robert Scollay & John P. Gilbert, 2001. "New Regional Trading Arrangements in the Asia Pacific?," Peterson Institute Press: All Books, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa63, November.
- Robert Scollay & John P. Gilbert, 2001. "New Regional Trading Arrangements in the Asia Pacific?," Peterson Institute Press: Policy Analyses in International Economics, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa63, February.
- Roberto Roson, 2006. "Introducing Imperfect Competition in CGE Models: Technical Aspects and Implications," Computational Economics, Springer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 28(1), pages 29-49, August.
- Roberto Roson, 2006. "Introducing Imperfect Competition in CGE Models:Technical Aspects and Implications," Working Papers 2006_02, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Roberto Roson, 2006. "Introducing Imperfect Competition in CGE Models: Technical Aspects and Implications," Working Papers 2006.3, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Luca De Benedictis & Roberta De Santis & Claudio Vicarelli, 2005. "Hub-and-Spoke or Else? Free Trade Agreements in the Enlarged EU - A Gravity Model Estimate," Economics Working Papers 037, European Network of Economic Policy Research Institutes.
- Jong-Wha Lee & Innwon Park, 2005. "Free Trade Areas in East Asia: Discriminatory or Non-discriminatory?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(1), pages 21-48, January.
- Kemp, Murray C. & Wan, Henry Jr., 1976. "An elementary proposition concerning the formation of customs unions," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 95-97, February.
- McKibbin, W.J., 1997. "Regional and Multiregional Trade Liberalization: The Effects on Trade, Investment and Welfare," Papers 134, Brookings Institution - Working Papers.
- Shujiro Urata & Kozo Kiyota, 2003. "The Impacts of an East Asia FTA on Foreign Trade in East Asia," NBER Working Papers 10173, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Deltas, George & Desmet, Klaus & Facchini, Giovanni, 2006. "Hub-and-Spoke Free Trade Areas," CEPR Discussion Papers 5960, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dean A. DeRosa & John P. Gilbert, 2005. "Predicting Trade Expansion under FTAs and Multilateral Agreements," Working Paper Series WP05-13, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Warwick McKibbin & Jong-Wha Lee & Inkyo Cheong, 2004. "A dynamic analysis of the Korea-Japan free trade area: simulations with the G-cubed Asia-Pacific model," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 3-32. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)