Quantile Regression in Lower Bound Estimation
In this paper, I illustrate the additional information that can be prodivided in estimating the lower bound (Sutton 1991, 1998) by using quantile regression. Quantile regression allows us to invesigate the influence of outliers. Previous lower bound have been performed using the simplex method. In this paper, the lower bound estimates are obtained using both methods for sectors belonging to a 'control group' and sectors belonging to an 'experimental group' forItalian manufacturing sectors in 1995. The data employed are drawn from the ISTAT (National Institute of Statistics, Italy) dataset. The results suggest that Sutton's predictions are robust.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/default.asp|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William Gould, 1993. "Quantile regression with bootstrapped standard errors," Stata Technical Bulletin, StataCorp LP, vol. 2(9).
- Buzzacchi, Luigi & Valletti, Tommaso, 2002.
"Firm Size Distribution: Testing the 'Independent Submarkets Model' in the Italian Motor Insurance Industry,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3444, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Buzzacchi, Luigi & Valletti, Tommaso M., 2006. "Firm size distribution: Testing the "independent submarkets model" in the Italian motor insurance industry," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 809-834, July.
- Luigi Buzzacchi & Tommaso Valetti, 1999. "Firm Size Distribution: Testing the "Independent Submarkets Model" in the Italian Motor Insurance Industry," STICERD - Economics of Industry Papers 24, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Luigi Buzzacchi & Tommaso Valletti, 1999. "Firm size distribution: testing the "independent submarkets model" in the Italian motor insurance industry," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6749, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Koenker,Roger, 2005.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521608275, December.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Koenker, Roger & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1982. "Robust Tests for Heteroscedasticity Based on Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 43-61, January.
- Robinson, William T & Chiang, Jeongwen, 1996. "Are Sutton's Predictions Robust?: Empirical Insights into Advertising, R&D, and Concentration," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(4), pages 389-408, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cep:stieip:29. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.