Firm Size Distribution: Testing the "Independent Submarkets Model" in the Italian Motor Insurance Industry
This paper tests the presence of multiple independent submarkets in the Italian motor insurance industry. Independence is motivated by administrative boundaries among provinces and by further locational reasons. We find that the independence effects are sufficient to induce a minimum degree of inequality in the size distribution of firms once submarkets are aggregated. These results are fully consistent with the predictions of Sutton (1998). We also show that the degree of skewness in the firms size distribution is related to characteristics such as the population living in an area, its density and the riskiness of a submarket.
|Date of creation:||Sep 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/_new/publications/default.asp|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Sutton, 1997. "Gibrat's Legacy," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(1), pages 40-59, March.
- Barron, John M. & Taylor, Beck A. & Umbeck, John R., 2004. "Number of sellers, average prices, and price dispersion," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(8-9), pages 1041-1066, November.
- Luigi Buzzacchi & Tommaso M. Valletti, 2004. "Firm Size Distribution in Small Samples," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(4), pages 301-309, October.
- Asplund, Marcus, 1998. "On the size distributions of firms and markets," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 288, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Franco Mariuzzo & Patrick Walsh & Ciara Whelan, 2003.
"Firm Size and Market Power in Carbonated Soft Drinks,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 283-299, December.
- Franco Mariuzzo & Patrick Paul Walsh & Ciara Whelan, 2003. "Firm Size and Market Power in Carbonated Soft Drinks," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 23(3_4), pages 283-299, December.
- Dahlby, Bev & West, Douglas S, 1986. "Price Dispersion in an Automobile Insurance Market," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(2), pages 418-38, April.
- Carlson, John A & McAfee, R Preston, 1983. "Discrete Equilibrium Price Dispersion," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(3), pages 480-93, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cep:stieip:24. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.