The Bias of the Gini Coefficient due to Grouping
Read also the publication in the 'Review of Economics and Statistics' , 2010, 93(3), 982-994. We propose a first order bias correction term for the Gini index to reduce the bias due to grouping. The first order correction term is obtained from studying the estimator of the Gini index within a measurement error framework. In addition, it reveals an intuitive formula for the remaining second order bias which is useful in empirical analyses. We analyze the empirical performance of our first order correction term using income data for 15 European countries and the US, and show that it reduces a considerable share of the bias due to grouping.
|Date of creation:||09 Oct 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Gustav Mahlerplein 117, 1082 MS Amsterdam|
Phone: +31 (0)20 598 4580
Web page: http://www.tinbergen.nl/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Villasenor, JoseA. & Arnold, Barry C., 1989. "Elliptical Lorenz curves," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 327-338, February.
- Ryu, Hang K. & Slottje, Daniel J., 1996. "Two flexible functional form approaches for approximating the Lorenz curve," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1-2), pages 251-274.
- Wagstaff, Adam & Paci, Pierella & van Doorslaer, Eddy, 1991. "On the measurement of inequalities in health," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 545-557, January.
- Buzzacchi, Luigi & Valletti, Tommaso M., 2006.
"Firm size distribution: Testing the "independent submarkets model" in the Italian motor insurance industry,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 809-834, July.
- Buzzacchi, Luigi & Valletti, Tommaso, 1999. "Firm size distribution: testing the "independent submarkets model" in the Italian motor insurance industry," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6749, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Buzzacchi, Luigi & Valletti, Tommaso, 2002. "Firm Size Distribution: Testing the 'Independent Submarkets Model' in the Italian Motor Insurance Industry," CEPR Discussion Papers 3444, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luigi Buzzacchi & Tommaso Valetti, 1999. "Firm Size Distribution: Testing the "Independent Submarkets Model" in the Italian Motor Insurance Industry," STICERD - Economics of Industry Papers 24, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Blyde, Juan S., 2006. "Convergence Dynamics in Mercosur," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 21, pages 784-815.
- Schader, Martin & Schmid, Friedrich, 1994. "Fitting Parametric Lorenz Curves to Grouped Income Distributions--A Critical Note," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 19(3), pages 361-370.
- Lambert, Peter J & Aronson, J Richard, 1993. "Inequality Decomposition Analysis and the Gini Coefficient Revisited," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(420), pages 1221-1227, September.
- Tomson Ogwang, 2003. "Bounds of the Gini Index Using Sparse Information on Mean Incomes," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 49(3), pages 415-423, September.
- Cameron,A. Colin & Trivedi,Pravin K., 2005. "Microeconometrics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521848053.
- Mills, Jeffrey A & Zandvakili, Sourushe, 1997.
"Statistical Inference via Bootstrapping for Measures of Inequality,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(2), pages 133-150, March-Apr.
- Jeffrey A. Mills & Sourushe Zandvakili, 1999. "Statistical Inference via Bootstrapping for Measures of Inequality," Macroeconomics 9902003, EconWPA.
- Aronson, J Richard & Johnson, Paul & Lambert, Peter J, 1994. "Redistributive Effects and Unequal Income Tax Treatment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(423), pages 262-270, March.
- Aisling Reynolds-Feighan, 2007. "Competing Networks, Spatial and Industrial Concentration in the US Airline Industry," Spatial Economic Analysis, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(3), pages 237-257.
- Fuller, Mike, 1979. "The estimation of Gini coefficients from grouped data : Upper and Lower Bounds," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 187-192.
- Murray, David, 1978. "Extreme values for Gini coefficients calculated from grouped data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 389-393.
- Bourguignon, Francois, 1979. "Decomposable Income Inequality Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(4), pages 901-920, July.
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 2006. "The World Distribution of Income: Falling Poverty and … Convergence, Period," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 121(2), pages 351-397.
- Pradhan, Menno & Sahn, David E. & Younger, Stephen D., 2003.
"Decomposing world health inequality,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 271-293, March.
- Menno Pradhan & David E. Sahn & Stephen D. Younger, 2001. "Decomposing World Health Inequality," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 01-091/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Tomson Ogwang, 2006. "An Upper Bound Of The Gini Index In The Absence Of Mean Income Information," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 52(4), pages 643-652, December.
- Cameron,A. Colin & Trivedi,Pravin K., 2008. "Microeconometrics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9787111235767.
- Lerman, Robert I. & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1989. "Improving the accuracy of estimates of Gini coefficients," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 43-47, September.
- Le Grand, Julian, 1987. "Inequalities in health : Some international comparisons," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-2), pages 182-191.
- van Praag, Bernard M S & Hagenaars, Aldi J M & van Eck, Wim, 1983. "The Influence of Classification and Observation Errors on the Measurement of Income Inequality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(4), pages 1093-1108, July.
- Kakwani, Nanak & Wagstaff, Adam & van Doorslaer, Eddy, 1997. "Socioeconomic inequalities in health: Measurement, computation, and statistical inference," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 87-103, March.
- Datt, Gaurav & Ravallion, Martin, 1992. "Growth and redistribution components of changes in poverty measures : A decomposition with applications to Brazil and India in the 1980s," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 275-295, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tin:wpaper:20080095. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Tinbergen Office +31 (0)10-4088900)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.