Manufacturing Extension And Productivity Dynamics
This paper presents results from an investigation of the effects of manufacturing extension on the productivity dynamics of client plants. Previous econometric studies of manufacturing extension had very little time series information. This limited what researchers could say about the relative timing of extension services and performance improvements. In turn, this makes it difficult to attribute performance improvements to the receipt of extension services. In this paper, I use a panel of client and nonclient plants to more carefully analyze the dynamics of extension and productivity. The results suggest that the timing of observed productivity improvements at client plants is consistent with a positive impact of manufacturing extension. Estimated program impacts are within the range of those found in previous studies.
|Date of creation:||Jun 1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (301) 763-6460
Fax: (301) 763-5935
Web page: http://www.census.gov/ces
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zvi Griliches & Jerry A. Hausman, 1984.
"Errors in Variables in Panel Data,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0037, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feller, Irwin & Glasmeier, Amy & Mark, Melvin, 1996. "Issues and perspectives on evaluating manufacturing modernization programs," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 309-319, March.
- James J. Heckman & V. Joseph Hotz & Marcelo Dabos, 1987. "Do We Need Experimental Data To Evaluate the Impact of Manpower Training On Earnings?," Evaluation Review, , vol. 11(4), pages 395-427, August.
- Oldsman, Eric, 1996. "Does manufacturing extension matter? An evaluation of the industrial technology extension service in New York," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 215-232, March.
- Shapira, Philip & Youtie, Jan & Roessner, J. David, 1996. "Current practices in the evaluation of US industrial modernization programs," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 185-214, March.
- Ronald S. Jarmin, 1999. "Evaluating the impact of manufacturing extension on productivity growth," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(1), pages 99-119.
- Heckman, James J. & Robb, Richard Jr., 1985. "Alternative methods for evaluating the impact of interventions : An overview," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 239-267.
- Luria, Dan & Wiarda, Edith, 1996. "Performance benchmarking and measuring program impacts on customers: lessons from the Midwest Manufacturing Technology Center," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 233-246, March.
- Feller, Irwin, 1997. "Manufacturing technology centers as components of regional technology infrastructures," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 181-197, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cen:wpaper:98-8. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fariha Kamal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.