The Brokerage of Asymmetric Information
In this paper we oversee the logic of information sets, firstly handling information and markets in perfect environments and, secondly, dealing with information and markets in imperfect environments, in the context of bounded rationality. Further on, asymmetric information is addressed together with the role of opportunistic behaviour through hidden action, hidden information, the free-rider problem and signaling, expanding on financial accounting and asymmetric information. At last, asymmetric markets are expanded on, reviewing the buyers’ and sellers’ markets so as to handle the performance of intermediaries who stand ready to provide with immediacy and liquidity to buyers and sellers of financial assets. There are two contributions that this paper brings forward: firstly, an intuitive treatment of information sets in the context of mathematical Set Theory so as to make tractable some issues still neglected. Secondly, we claim and develop that a careful assessment of information sets makes headway towards an approach that regards market makers and other intermediaries as brokers of asymmetric information.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (5411) 6314-3000
Fax: (5411) 4314-1654
Web page: http://www.cema.edu.ar/publicaciones/doc_trabajo.htmlEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521517386 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mark D. Flood Ronald Huisman Kees G. Koedijk and Richard Lyons., 1998. "Search Costs: The Neglected Spread Component," Research Program in Finance Working Papers RPF-285, University of California at Berkeley.
- Hart, Oliver, 1995. "Firms, Contracts, and Financial Structure," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198288817, March.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996.
"Law and Finance,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1768, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, . "Law and Finance," Working Paper 19451, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," NBER Working Papers 5661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1998. "Law and Finance," Scholarly Articles 3451310, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Herbert A. Simon, 1991. "Organizations and Markets," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 5(2), pages 25-44, Spring.
- Grossman, S.J. & Miller, M.H., 1988.
"Liquidity And Market Structure,"
88, Princeton, Department of Economics - Financial Research Center.
- Scitovsky, Tibor, 1990. "The Benefits of Asymmetric Markets," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 4(1), pages 135-48, Winter.
- Allen, Franklin & Gorton, Gary, 1992.
"Stock price manipulation, market microstructure and asymmetric information,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 36(2-3), pages 624-630, April.
- Allen, F. & Gorton, G., 1991. "Stock Price Manipulation, Market Microstructure and Asymetric Information," Weiss Center Working Papers 21-91, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Franklin Allen & Gary Gorton, 1991. "Stock Price Manipulation, Market Microstructure and Asymmetric Information," NBER Working Papers 3862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Flood, Mark D. & Huisman, Ronald & Koedijk, Kees G. & Lyons, Richard K., 2012. "Search Costs: The Neglected Spread Component," Research Program in Finance, Working Paper Series qt5q05g9pt, Research Program in Finance, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Arrow, Kenneth J, 1974. "Limited Knowledge and Economic Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(1), pages 1-10, March.
- Rodolfo Apreda, 2000. "A transaction costs approach to financial assets rates of return," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 161, Universidad del CEMA.
- Rodolfo Apreda, 1998. "Dynamic Arbitrage Gaps for Financial Assets," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 134, Universidad del CEMA.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996.
"A Survey of Corporate Governance,"
NBER Working Papers
5554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1995. "A Survey of Corporate Governance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1741, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Daniel F. Spulber, 1996. "Market Microstructure and Intermediation," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 10(3), pages 135-152, Summer.
- Luigi Zingales, 1997.
NBER Working Papers
6309, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Copeland, Thomas E & Galai, Dan, 1983. " Information Effects on the Bid-Ask Spread," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(5), pages 1457-69, December.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Ross, Stephen A, 1973. "The Economic Theory of Agency: The Principal's Problem," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(2), pages 134-39, May.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1970. "Efficient Capital Markets: A Review of Theory and Empirical Work," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 25(2), pages 383-417, May.
- Jean Tirole, 1999. "Incomplete Contracts: Where Do We Stand?," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(4), pages 741-782, July.
- Michael Magill & Martine Quinzii, 2002. "Theory of Incomplete Markets, Volume 1," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262632543, August.
- Garman, Mark B., 1976. "Market microstructure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 257-275, June.
- Mark Carey S. & Stephen Prowse & John Rea & Gregory Udell, 1993. "The economics of the private placement market," Staff Studies 166, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ho, Thomas & Stoll, Hans R., 1981.
"Optimal dealer pricing under transactions and return uncertainty,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 47-73, March.
- Thomas Ho & Hans Stoll, . "Optimal Dealer Pricing Under Transactions and Return Uncertainty," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 27-79, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Coase, R H, 1977. "The Wealth of Nations," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 15(3), pages 309-25, July.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521736602 is not listed on IDEAS
- George J. Stigler, 1957. "Perfect Competition, Historically Contemplated," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 65, pages 1.
- Spulber, Daniel F, 1996. "Market Making by Price-Setting Firms," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 63(4), pages 559-80, October.
- John Conlisk, 1996. "Why Bounded Rationality?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(2), pages 669-700, June.
- Rodolfo Apreda, 2000. "Differential Rates of Return and Residual Information Sets (A Discrete Approach)," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 177, Universidad del CEMA.
- Edward S. Prescott, 1999. "A primer on moral-hazard models," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Win, pages 47-78.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cem:doctra:190. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valeria Dowding)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.