Corporate Demography and Empirical Industrial Organization: A Critical Appraisal
The emerging field of corporate demography views corporations and industries in a similar way to human or animal individuals and groups. In spite of a surprisingly large overlap of subject matter with economics, corporate demography is not well-known by, nor easily accessible to economists. An extremely useful recent book, The Demography of Corporations and Industries, by Glenn R. Carroll and Michael T. Hannan (2000) should change that. This review essay critically examines corporate demography from an economic viewpoint. The very different view of competition in corporate demography gets particular attention.
|Date of creation:||04 Mar 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2127 North Hall, Santa Barbara, CA 93106-9210|
Phone: (805) 893-3670
Fax: (805) 893-8830
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/ucsbecon_dwp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frech, H. E. III & Miller, Richard D. Jr., 1996. "The Productivity of Health Care and Pharmaceuticals: An International Comparison," University of California at Los Angeles, Research Program in Pharmaceutical Economics and Policy qt0d90459k, Research Program in Pharmaceutical Economics and Policy, UCLA.
- Blair, Roger D & Vogel, Ronald J, 1978. "A Survivor Analysis of Commercial Health Insurers," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(3), pages 521-29, July.
- Armen A. Alchian, 1950. "Uncertainty, Evolution, and Economic Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58, pages 211.
- Danger, K. & Frech, H.E.III., 2001. "Critical Thinking about "Critical Loss" in Antitrust," Papers 01-4, U.S. Department of Justice - Antitrust Division.
- Frech, H E, III & Ginsburg, Paul B, 1974. "Optimal Scale in Medical Practice: A Survivor Analysis," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(1), pages 23-36, January.
- Boyan Jovanovic, 2001. "Fitness and Age: Review of Carroll and Hannan's Demography of Corporations and Industries," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 39(1), pages 105-119, March.
- Jarrell, Gregg & Peltzman, Sam, 1985.
"The Impact of Product Recalls on the Wealth of Sellers,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(3), pages 512-36, June.
- Gregg A. Jarrell & Sam Peltzman, 1984. "The Impact of Product Recalls on the Wealth of Sellers," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 33, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Keeler, Theodore E, 1989. "Deregulation and Scale Economies in the U.S. Trucking Industry: An Econometric Extension of the Survivor Principle," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 32(2), pages 229-53, October.
- Troske, Kenneth R, 1996. "The Dynamic Adjustment Process of Firm Entry and Exit in Manufacturing and Finance, Insurance, and Real Estate," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39(2), pages 705-35, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdl:ucsbec:qt451647b2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.