A Decent Home: Housing Policy in Perspective
This paper provides a selective review of two aspects of urban policy in the U.S. -- federal policy providing housing subsidies for lower income households, and federal support for urban redevelopment and physical renewal. The paper reviews four periods in the history of American housing policy, indicating the major equity and efficiency issues in delivering housing services, the factors affecting program costs, and the development of more effective programs. The paper also traces urban development policy from the urban renewal partnership sponsored by the 1949 Housing Act to the present, indicating the linkage between theories of intergovernmental fiscal relations and the evolution of programs. The analysis is mostly an exercise in positive economics, explicating the development of policies, their economic rationale, and economic consequences. However, inevitably, there is some attention paid to the normative aspects of these programs.
|Date of creation:||03 Apr 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: F502 Haas, Berkeley CA 94720-1922|
Phone: (510) 642-1922
Fax: (510) 642-5018
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/iber_bphup/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard A. Musgrave, 1961. "Approaches to a Fiscal Theory of Political Federalism," NBER Chapters, in: Public Finances: Needs, Sources, and Utilization, pages 97-134 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- O'Regan, Katherine M. & Quigley, John M., 1997.
"Accessibility and Economic Opportunity,"
University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers
qt37h6t700, University of California Transportation Center.
- O'Regan, Katherine M. & Quigley, John M., 1998. "Accessibility and Economic Opportunity," Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series qt94s780fq, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- John M. Quigley & Katherine M. O'Regan, 1998. "Accessibility and Economic Opportunity," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm100, Yale School of Management.
- Susin, Scott, 1999. "Rent Vouchers and the Price of Low-Income Housing," Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series qt67d5x29s, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdl:bphupl:qt8f57x42q. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.