Agency Theory in Practice: A Qualitative Study of Hedge Fund Activism in Japan
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Toru Yoshikawa & Jean McGuire, 2008. "Change and continuity in Japanese corporate governance," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 5-24, January.
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Separation of Ownership and Control," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 301-325, June.
- Viral V. Acharya & Stewart C. Myers & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2011.
"The Internal Governance of Firms,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 66(3), pages 689-720, June.
- Viral V. Acharya & Stewart C. Myers & Raghuram Rajan, 2009. "The Internal Governance of Firms," NBER Working Papers 15568, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Acharya, Viral V & Myers, Stewart C & Rajan, Raghuram G, 2009. "The Internal Governance of Firms," CEPR Discussion Papers 7210, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- April Klein & Emanuel Zur, 2011. "The Impact of Hedge Fund Activism on the Target Firm's Existing Bondholders," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 24(5), pages 1735-1771.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- April Klein & Emanuel Zur, 2009. "Entrepreneurial Shareholder Activism: Hedge Funds and Other Private Investors," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 64(1), pages 187-229, February.
- Aoki, Masahiko, 2010. "Corporations in Evolving Diversity: Cognition, Governance, and Institutions," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199218530.
- Henry Hansmann & Reinier Kraakman, 2000. "The End Of History For Corporate Law," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm136, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Feb 2001.
- Masahiko Aoki & Gregory Jackson, 2008. "Understanding an emergent diversity of corporate governance and organizational architecture: an essentiality-based analysis -super-1," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(1), pages 1-27, February.
- Amon Chizema & Yoshikatsu Shinozawa, 2012. "The ‘Company with Committees’: Change or Continuity in Japanese Corporate Governance?," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 77-101, January.
- John Buchanan, 2007. "Japanese Corporate Governance and the Principle of "Internalism"," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(1), pages 27-35, January.
- Ross, Stephen A, 1973. "The Economic Theory of Agency: The Principal's Problem," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(2), pages 134-139, May.
- Clifford, Christopher P., 2008. "Value creation or destruction? Hedge funds as shareholder activists," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 323-336, September.
- Lex Donaldson & James H. Davis, 1991. "Stewardship Theory or Agency Theory: CEO Governance and Shareholder Returns," Australian Journal of Management, Australian School of Business, vol. 16(1), pages 49-64, June.
- Annie Pye, 2002. "Corporate Directing: governing, strategising and leading in action," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(3), pages 153-162, July.
- Alon Brav & Wei Jiang & Frank Partnoy & Randall Thomas, 2008. "Hedge Fund Activism, Corporate Governance, and Firm Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 63(4), pages 1729-1775, August.
- Timothy A. Kruse & Kazunori Suzuki, 2012. "Steel Partners' activism efforts at United Industrial, Ronson, and BKF Capital: The good, the bad, and the ugly," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 38(6), pages 587-605, May.
- Robé Jean-Philippe, 2011. "The Legal Structure of the Firm," Accounting, Economics, and Law: A Convivium, De Gruyter, vol. 1(1), pages 1-88, January.
- Greenwood, Robin & Schor, Michael, 2009. "Investor activism and takeovers," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(3), pages 362-375, June.
- John Buchanan & Dominic Heesang Chai & Simon Deakin, 2013. "Empirical Analysis of Legal Institutions and Institutional Change: Multiple-Methods Approaches and their Application to Corporate Governance Research," Working Papers wp445, Centre for Business Research, University of Cambridge.
- Sanford M. Jacoby, 2007. "Principles and Agents: CalPERS and corporate governance in Japan," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(1), pages 5-15, January.
More about this item
KeywordsCorporate Governance; Agency Theory; Japan; Hedge Funds; Shareholder Activism;
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
- K22 - Law and Economics - - Regulation and Business Law - - - Business and Securities Law
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cbr:cbrwps:wp448. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ruth Newman and Georgie Cohen). General contact details of provider: http://www.cbr.cam.ac.uk .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.