The Formulation of Monetary Policy in EMU
A key decision facing the newly formed European Central Bank will be the specification of a monetary policy strategy for the euro area. This article considers how monetary policy may be conducted within EMU, focusing on the main strategies under consideration. The agreed instruments and procedures that will be at the disposal of the ESCB are examined, where the various stages of monetary policy formulation through to the final target of price stability are outlined.
|Date of creation:||Jun 1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box No. 559, Dame Street, Dublin 2|
Phone: (01) 671 6666
Fax: (01) 671 6561
Web page: http://www.centralbank.ie
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clarida, R. & Gertler, M., 1996.
"How the Bundesbank Conducts Monetary Policy,"
96-14, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Boskin, Michael J, et al, 1997. "The CPI Commission: Findings and Recommendations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 78-83, May.
- Bernanke, Ben S. & Mihov, Ilian, 1997.
"What does the Bundesbank target?,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 1025-1053, June.
- Browne, F.X. & Fagan, G. & Henry, J., 1997.
"Money Demand in EU Countries : A Survey,"
7, European Monetary Institute.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger & Favero, Carlo A. & Giavazzi, Francesco, 1998. "A Red Letter Day?," CEPR Discussion Papers 1804, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Escriva, J.L. & Fagan, F.P., 1996. "Empirical assessment of Monetary Policy Instruments and Procedures (MPIP) in EU Countries," Papers 2, European Monetary Institute.
- Paul Louis Ceriel Hilbers & Arto Kovanen & Charles Enoch, 1997. "Some Issues in the Design of Monetary Instruments for the Operation of European Economic and Monetary Union," IMF Working Papers 97/178, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cbi:wpaper:2/rt/98. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fiona Farrelly)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.