Modelling the corporate deposits of Irish financial institutions: 2009 - 2010
This paper examines the corporate funding flows of Irish credit institutions over the period 2009 to end-2010. The analysis examines the daily net movement across the consolidated corporate and retail deposit books of the domestic Irish banking sector and models these flows as a function of bank specific measures of risk, sovereign influences and general macro-financial conditions. The international financial crisis resulted in Irish banking institutions experiencing more acute funding difficulties than institutions elsewhere. Over the period 1995 to 2007, Irish credit institutions had engaged in a remarkable surge in concentrated lending to the commercial and residential property sector. The collapse in prices and activity in both markets post-2007 coupled with the downturn in general economic activity are the main reasons why Irish banks now rely substantially on liquidity support from the ECB and the Irish Central Bank. This situation is clearly unsustainable in the longer term and, in returning these institutions to a more viable longer-term path of market based funding, a greater understanding of the deposit flows of financial institutions is required.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (01) 671 6666
Fax: (01) 671 6561
Web page: http://www.centralbank.ie
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Masahiro Hori & Yasuaki Ito & Keiko Murata, 2009. "Do Depositors Respond Rationally To Bank Risks? Evidence From Japanese Banks During Crises," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(5), pages 581-592, December.
- Trevor Fitzpatrick & Kieran Mcquinn, 2007.
"House Prices And Mortgage Credit: Empirical Evidence For Ireland,"
University of Manchester, vol. 75(1), pages 82-103, 01.
- Fitzpatrick, Trevor & McQuinn, Kieran, 2004. "House Prices and Mortgage Credit: Empirical Evidence for Ireland," Research Technical Papers 5/RT/04, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Lev Ratnovski & Rocco Huang, 2010.
"The Dark Side of Bank Wholesale Funding,"
IMF Working Papers
10/170, International Monetary Fund.
- Pierluigi Bologna, 2011.
"Is there a Role for Funding in Explaining Recent U.S. Banks' Failures?,"
IMF Working Papers
11/180, International Monetary Fund.
- Pierluigi Bologna, 2011. "Is there a role for funding in explaining recent US bank failures?," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 103, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cbi:wpaper:02/rt/12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Richard Smith)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.