Irish SME credit supply and demand: comparisons across surveys and countries
This letter provides a consistent picture of Irish SME credit supply and demand up to March 2012 across two data sources: the European Commission and European Central Bank Survey of Access to Finance of Small and Medium Enterprises (SAFE) and the Mazars SME lending demand survey, commissioned by the Department of Finance. The data report that the Irish rejection rate for credit applications is the second highest in the euro area, while Irish SMEs are among the most likely to have faced increased collateral requirements, increased interest rates, or lower loan quantities. On the demand side, the data depict Irish credit demand, as measured by changes in firms’ reported need for external financing, to be at or close to the euro area average, while application rates for credit are slightly lower than average. The difference between Ireland’s ranking on demand and application rates is partly explained by a share of discouraged borrowers, who have demand for credit but do not apply for credit, that is double the euro area average.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box No. 559, Dame Street, Dublin 2|
Phone: (01) 671 6666
Fax: (01) 671 6561
Web page: http://www.centralbank.ie
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lawless, Martina & McCann, Fergal, 2011. "Credit Access for Small and Medium Firms: Survey Evidence for Ireland," Research Technical Papers 11/RT/11, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Holton, Sarah & Lawless, Martina & McCann, Fergal, 2012. "Firm Credit in Europe: A Tale of Three Crises," Research Technical Papers 04/RT/12, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Nicolas Berman & Jérôme Héricourt, 2008.
"Financial factors and the margins of trade : evidence from cross-country firm-level data,"
Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne
bla08050, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Berman, Nicolas & Héricourt, Jérôme, 2010. "Financial factors and the margins of trade: Evidence from cross-country firm-level data," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 206-217, November.
- Nicolas Berman & Jérôme Héricourt, 2008. "Financial Factors and the Margins of Trade: Evidence from Cross-Country Firm-Level Data," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00321632, HAL.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cbi:ecolet:08/el/12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fiona Farrelly)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.