Can NEG Explain the Spatial Distribution of Wages of Chile?
The New Economic Geography (NEG) has been tested to explain the spatial concentration of wages in developed countries, but it has not been evaluated for developingcountries where the excessive spatial concentration seems to be related with negative consequences on the economic development. This paper covers this gap in the literature estimating by first time a NEG model for Chile and pursuing two research questions : 1) Can the NEG explain the spatial distribution of wages in a developing country as Chile?, and 2) How can the NEG be used to infer information about the future level of spatial concentration of wages in Chile? The results suggest that the case of Chile is poorly explained by the NEG and higher level of spatial concentration should be expected in the future. These results indicate that the empirical analysis ofNEG is not a direct extension toward developing countries, and some considerations such as inclusion of the rst nature or analysis at micro data level must be incorporated by future researches.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2010|
|Date of revision:||Sep 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. Angamos 0610, Antofagasta|
Phone: (55) 355-768
Fax: (55) 355-878
Web page: http://www.economiaucn.com
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hanson, G.H., 1999.
"`Market Potential, Increasing Returns, and Geographic Concentration,"
439, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- H. Hanson, Gordon, 2005. "Market potential, increasing returns and geographic concentration," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 1-24, September.
- Gordon H. Hanson, 1998. "Market Potential, Increasing Returns, and Geographic Concentration," NBER Working Papers 6429, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Lafourcade, Miren & Thisse, Jacques-François & Toutain, Jean-Claude, 2008.
"The Rise and Fall of Spatial Inequalities in France: a Long-Run Perspective,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7017, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Lafourcade, Miren & Thisse, Jacques-François & Toutain, Jean-Claude, 2011. "The rise and fall of spatial inequalities in France: A long-run perspective," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 243-271, April.
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Miren Lafourcade & Jacques-François Thisse & Jean-Claude Toutain, 2011. "The rise and fall of spatial inequalities in France: A long-run perspective," Post-Print halshs-00754544, HAL.
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Miren Lafourcade & Jacques-François Thisse & Jean-Claude Toutain, 2008. "The rise and fall of spatial inequalities in France: A long-run perspective," PSE Working Papers halshs-00586214, HAL.
- COMBES, Pierre-Philippe & LAFOURCADE, Miren & THISSE, Jacques-François & TOUTAIN, Jean-Claude, . "The rise and fall of spatial inequalities in France: A long-run perspective," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2306, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Miren Lafourcade & Jacques-François Thisse & Jean-Claude Toutain, 2008. "The rise and fall of spatial inaqualities in France : a long-run perspective," PSE Working Papers halshs-00349293, HAL.
- Diego Puga, 1996.
"The rise and fall of regional inequalities,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
20643, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Pierre-Philippe Combes & Gilles Duranton & Laurent Gobillon, 2008.
"Spatial Wage Disparities: Sorting Matters!,"
- Redding, Stephen J., 2009.
"The Empirics of New Economic Geography,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7307, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stephen Redding, 2009. "The Empirics of New Economic Geography," CEP Discussion Papers dp0925, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Stephen Redding, 2009. "The empirics of new economic geography," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 25499, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Patricio Aroca & Mariano Bosch, 2000. "Crecimiento, convergencia y espacio en las regiones chilenas: 1960 - 1998," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 27(2 Year 20), pages 199-224, December.
- Krugman, Paul, 1991.
"Increasing Returns and Economic Geography,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(3), pages 483-99, June.
- S. Brakman & H Garretsen & M. Schramm, 2004.
"The Spatial Distribution of Wages:Estimating the Helpman-Hanson model for Germany,"
03-09, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Steven Brakman & Harry Garretsen & Marc Schramm, 2004. "The Spatial Distribution of Wages: Estimating the Helpman-Hanson Model for Germany," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(3), pages 437-466.
- Diego Puga, 2002.
"European regional policies in light of recent location theories,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 2(4), pages 373-406, October.
- Puga, Diego, 2001. "European Regional Policies in Light of Recent Location Theories," CEPR Discussion Papers 2767, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ferreira, Francisco H G & Litchfield, Julie A, 1999. "Calm after the Storms: Income Distribution and Welfare in Chile, 1987-94," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 13(3), pages 509-38, September.
- Dante Contreras, 2003. "Poverty and Inequality in a Rapid Growth Economy: Chile 1990-96," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(3), pages 181-200.
- Brakman,Steven & Garretsen,Harry & van Marrewijk,Charles, 2009.
"The New Introduction to Geographical Economics,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521875325, December.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00349293 is not listed on IDEAS
- Roberto Duncan & J. Rodrigo Fuentes, 2005. "Convergencia Regional en Chile: Nuevos Tests, Viejos Resultados," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 313, Central Bank of Chile.
- Henderson, Vernon, 2003. "The Urbanization Process and Economic Growth: The So-What Question," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 47-71, March.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00586214 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jens Suedekum, 2006. "Agglomeration And Regional Costs Of Living," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(3), pages 529-543.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cat:dtecon:dt201002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dusan Paredes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.