The effect of LNG on the rleationship between UK and Continental European natural gas markets
The long-term relationship between the prices of natural gas in the United Kingdom and oil-indexed natural gas in the North West European market is the result of seasonal arbitrage. This paper empirically investigates this long-term relationship and offers two main contributions: (i) To the best knowledge of the author, this is the first study to take into ac- count important UK spot gas market drivers such as seasonality, temperature and gas storage injection/withdrawal behaviour when examining the structural relationship between UK and Continental European markets. (ii) The effect of UK import capacity extensions since 2005, through both pipeline and LNG regasification capacity, on this long-term relationship will be analyzed. The results suggest that there is a significant structural break in 2006 when the two markets decouple and move from an old to a new, much weaker, long-term relationship. From the end of 2008 onwards, the time at which UK LNG imports started to increase, this long-term relationship appears to break down altogether.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gregory, A.W. & Hansen, B.E., 1992.
"Residual-Based Tests for Cointegration in Models with Regime Shifts,"
RCER Working Papers
335, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Gregory, Allan W. & Hansen, Bruce E., 1996. "Residual-based tests for cointegration in models with regime shifts," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 99-126, January.
- Allan w. Gregory & Bruce E. Hansen, 1992. "residual-Based Tests for Cointegration in Models with Regime Shifts," Working Papers 862, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Andrew C Harvey & Andrew Scott, 1994.
"Seasonality in Dynamic Regression Models,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0184, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Lance J. Bachmeier & James M. Griffin, 2006. "Testing for Market Integration: Crude Oil, Coal, and Natural Gas," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 55-72.
- Neumann, Anne & Siliverstovs, Boriss, 2005.
"Convergence of European Spot Market Prices for Natural Gas? A Real-Time Analysis of Market Integration using the Kalman Filter,"
Dresden Discussion Paper Series in Economics
05/05, Technische Universität Dresden, Faculty of Business and Economics, Department of Economics.
- Anne Neumann & Boriss Siliverstovs & Christian von Hirschhausen, 2006. "Convergence of European spot market prices for natural gas? A real-time analysis of market integration using the Kalman Filter," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(11), pages 727-732.
- Guillaume L'Hegaret & Boriss Siliverstovs & Christian von Hirschhausen, 2004.
"International Market Integration for Natural Gas? A Cointegration Analysis of Prices in Europe, North America and Japan,"
0402, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Siliverstovs, Boriss & L'Hegaret, Guillaume & Neumann, Anne & von Hirschhausen, Christian, 2005. "International market integration for natural gas? A cointegration analysis of prices in Europe, North America and Japan," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 603-615, July.
- Guillaume L¿Hégaret & Boriss Siliverstovs & Anne Neumann & Christian von Hirschhausen, 2003. "International Market Integration for Natural Gas?: A Cointegration Analysis of Prices in Europe, North America and Japan," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 393, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- [Reference to Proietti], Tommaso, 2000. "Comparing seasonal components for structural time series models," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 247-260.
- Wright, Philip, 2006. "Gas Prices in the UK: Markets and Insecurity of Supply," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199299652, December.
- Anne Neumann, 2009.
"Linking Natural Gas Markets - Is LNG Doing its Job?,"
The Energy Journal,
International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Special I), pages 187-200.
- Anne Neumann, 2008. "Linking Natural Gas Markets: Is LNG Doing Its Job?," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 822, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Serletis, Apostolos & Herbert, John, 1999.
"The message in North American energy prices,"
Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 471-483, October.
- David J. Ramberg and John E. Parsons, 2012. "The Weak Tie Between Natural Gas and Oil Prices," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2).
- Panagiotidis, Theodore & Rutledge, Emilie, 2007. "Oil and gas markets in the UK: Evidence from a cointegrating approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 329-347, March.
- Frank Asche & Petter Osmundsen & Maria Sandsmark, 2006. "The UK Market for Natural Gas, Oil and Electricity: Are the Prices Decoupled?," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 27-40.
- Peter R. Hartley & Kenneth B Medlock III & Jennifer E. Rosthal, 2008. "The Relationship of Natural Gas to Oil Prices," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 47-66.
- Mu, Xiaoyi, 2007. "Weather, storage, and natural gas price dynamics: Fundamentals and volatility," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 46-63, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cam:camdae:1253. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jake Dyer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.