General Network Effects and Welfare
(In)direct network effects arise frequently in economic models but, for reasons of analytical tractability, are often assumed to be linear. Here, we examine the general non-linear case with two platforms. We establish the conditions characterising equilibria and show that welfare changes can be related in a simple, intuitive way to the degree of diminishing returns of the network effects function.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Church, Jeffrey & Gandal, Neil, 1992. "Network Effects, Software Provision, and Standardization," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(1), pages 85-103, March.
- Church Jeffrey & Gandal Neil & Krause David, 2008.
"Indirect Network Effects and Adoption Externalities,"
Review of Network Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 7(3), pages 1-22, September.
- Church, Jeffrey & Gandal, Neil & Krause, David, 2003. "Indirect Network Effects and Adoption Externalities," CEPR Discussion Papers 3738, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jeffrey Church & Neil Gandal & David Krause, 2003. "Indirect Network Effects and Adoption Externalities," Microeconomics 0301001, EconWPA.
- Mark Armstrong, 2005.
"Competition in Two-Sided Markets,"
- Pollock, Rufus, 2005.
"The Control of Porting in Two-Sided Markets,"
5023, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jun 2007.
- Caillaud, Bernard & Jullien, Bruno, 2003. " Chicken & Egg: Competition among Intermediation Service Providers," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 34(2), pages 309-28, Summer.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cam:camdae:0915. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jake Dyer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.