The impact of the trade and financial openness on the economic growth in the countries from the Eastern Europe
The impact of trade and financial openness can be measured by the sensitivity of the first moment of the economic growth. Taking into account the domestic conditions, this paper provides an empirical evaluation of the impact of globalization on the economic growth in the Eastern Europe. The data set includes a sample of 9 countries from the Eastern Europe, which are member states of the EU. This paper investigates the possibility of a non-monotonic relationship between the trade/financial openness and the economic growth. The analysis of non-linearity is done by allowing the effects of trade/financial integration to vary with the general level of economic development. The econometric models used in the analysis are the dynamic panel data models: the “Difference” GMM (Arellano-Bond (1991)) and the “System” GMM (Arellano-Bover(1995)/Blundell-Bond(1998)). These models are designed for a dynamic persistent panel data with few time periods and many individuals, with endogenous regressors, with fixed effect, with heteroskedasticity and auto-correlation within cross-sections. The main conclusions of this paper are that trade openness has a significant positive impact on the economic growth while the impact of the financial integration is a negative one. This analysis reveals a strong non-linearity of the impact of trade openness on the economic growth. The non-linearity of the financial openness impact on the economic growth couldn’t be deduced.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 6 ROMANA PLACE, 70167 - BUCHAREST|
Web page: http://www.dofin.ase.ro/carfib/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ramey, Garey & Ramey, Valerie A, 1995.
"Cross-Country Evidence on the Link between Volatility and Growth,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1138-1151, December.
- Garey Ramey & Valerie A. Ramey, 1994. "Cross-Country Evidence on the Link Between Volatility and Growth," NBER Working Papers 4959, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Salinas, Gonzalo & Aksoy, Ataman, 2006. "Growth before and after trade liberalization," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4062, The World Bank.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995. "Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990. "Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models," CEP Discussion Papers dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Yanikkaya, Halit, 2003. "Trade openness and economic growth: a cross-country empirical investigation," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 57-89, October.
- M. Ayhan Kose & Eswar Prasad & Kenneth Rogoff & Shang-Jin Wei, 2009. "Financial Globalization: A Reappraisal," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 56(2), pages 143-197, June.
- M Ayhan Kose & Eswar Prasad & Kenneth Rogoff & Shang-Jin Wei, 2009. "Financial Globalization: A Reappraisal," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 56(1), pages 8-62, April.
- M. Ayhan Kose & Eswar Prasad & Kenneth S. Rogoff & Shang-Jin Wei, 2006. "Financial Globalization: A Reappraisal," NBER Working Papers 12484, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ayhan Kose & Eswar Prasad & Kenneth Rogoff & Shang-Jin Wei, 2006. "Financial Globalization; A Reappraisal," IMF Working Papers 06/189, International Monetary Fund.
- Kose, Ayhan & Prasad, Eswar & Rogoff, Kenneth & Wei, Shang-Jin, 2006. "Financial Globalization: A Reappraisal," CEPR Discussion Papers 5842, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nickell, Stephen J, 1981. "Biases in Dynamic Models with Fixed Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1417-1426, November.
- Michael W. Klein, 2003. "Capital Account Openness and the Varieties of Growth Experience," NBER Working Papers 9500, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Roodman, 2006. "How to Do xtabond2," North American Stata Users' Group Meetings 2006 8, Stata Users Group. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cab:wpaefr:14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ciprian Necula)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.