A multivariate nonlinear analysis of tourism expenditures
Independence among different tourism expenditure categories is the most convenient hypothesis for modeling decision–making processes. Nevertheless, the best-suited framework would require dependence among expenditures in order to face individual budget and ordered choices. To this end we provide a new multivariate copula-based logit model with explanatory variables. We applied our tools to the expenditures of the foreign tourists visiting South–Tyrol (Northern Italy), and we underlined the need to go beyond usual independence assumption in order to get more realistic results. The obtained findings are useful for policy makers, marketing experts, and local government in order to know how visitors allocate their travel budget; moreover, they can been exploited to improve the touristic supply by means of ad–hoc promotions, advertising, touristic packages, and attractions.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: VIA SERNESI, 1 - 39100 BOLZANO|
Phone: +39 0471 315 000
Fax: +39 0471 315 009
Web page: http://www.unibz.it/en/economics/research/workingpapers/default.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:jss:jstsof:39:i09 is not listed on IDEAS
- Trivedi, Pravin K. & Zimmer, David M., 2007. "Copula Modeling: An Introduction for Practitioners," Foundations and Trends(R) in Econometrics, now publishers, vol. 1(1), pages 1-111, April.
- Brida, Juan Gabriel & Scuderi, Raffaele, 2012. "Determinants of tourist expenditure: a review of microeconometric models," MPRA Paper 38468, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Heien, Dale & Wessells, Cathy Roheim, 1990. "Demand Systems Estimation with Microdata: A Censored Regression Approach," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(3), pages 365-71, July.
- Cragg, John G, 1971. "Some Statistical Models for Limited Dependent Variables with Application to the Demand for Durable Goods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(5), pages 829-44, September.
- Vuong, Quang H, 1989. "Likelihood Ratio Tests for Model Selection and Non-nested Hypotheses," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 307-33, March.
- Deaton,Angus & Muellbauer,John, 1980. "Economics and Consumer Behavior," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521296762, june. pag.
- Junyi Zhang & Lili Xu & Akimasa Fujiwara, 2012. "Developing an integrated scobit-based activity participation and time allocation model to explore influence of childcare on women’s time use behaviour," Transportation, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 125-149, January.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1974. "Multivariate Regression and Simultaneous Equation Models when the Dependent Variables Are Truncated Normal," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(6), pages 999-1012, November.
- Peter J. Danaher & Michael S. Smith, 2011. "Modeling Multivariate Distributions Using Copulas: Applications in Marketing," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(1), pages 4-21, 01-02.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bzn:wpaper:bemps10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (bemps administrator)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.