Optimal income taxation with tax competition
We introduce tax competition for mobile labor into an optimal- taxation model with two skill levels and analyze a symmetric subgame- perfect Nash equilibrium of the game between two governments and two taxpayer populations. Tax competition reduces the distortion from the informational asymmetry and increases employment of the less productive individuals. When countries are heterogeneous, this e¤ect is more pronounced in the smaller country.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (0)1865 288800
Fax: +44 (0)1865 288805
Web page: http://www.sbs.ox.ac.uk/ideas-impact/tax/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Huber, Bernd, 1999. "Tax competition and tax coordination in an optimum income tax model," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(3), pages 441-458, March.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2001.
"The New Systems Competition,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
623, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hagen, K.P. & Osmundsen, P. & Schjelderup, G., 1995. "Internationally Mobile Firms and Tax Policy," Papers 8/95, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Craig Brett & John Weymark, 2008.
"Strategic Nonlinear Income Tax Competition with Perfect Labor Mobility,"
Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers
0812, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Bierbrauer, Felix & Brett, Craig & Weymark, John A., 2013. "Strategic nonlinear income tax competition with perfect labor mobility," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 82(C), pages 292-311.
- Felix Bierbrauer & Craig Brett & John A. Weymark, 2011. "Strategic Nonlinear Income Tax Competition with Perfect Labor Mobility," CESifo Working Paper Series 3329, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jeremy Edwards & Michael Keen, 1994.
"Tax competition and Leviathon,"
IFS Working Papers
W94/07, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Richter, Wolfram F., 2004.
"Delaying integration of immigrant labor for the purpose of taxation,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 597-613, May.
- Wolfram F. Richter, 2002. "Delaying Integration of Immigrant Labor for the Purpose of Taxation," CESifo Working Paper Series 802, CESifo Group Munich.
- Mirrlees, James A, 1971. "An Exploration in the Theory of Optimum Income Taxation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(114), pages 175-208, April.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1982.
"Self-selection and Pareto efficient taxation,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 213-240, March.
- Alain Trannoy, Laurent Simula and, 2009. "Shall We Keep Highly Skilled at Home? The Optimal Income Tax Perspective," Working Paper Series, Center for Fiscal Studies 2009:9, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Alain Trannoy, Laurent Simula and, 2009.
"Optimal Income Tax under the Threat of Migration by Top-Income Earners,"
Working Paper Series, Center for Fiscal Studies
2009:8, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Simula, Laurent & Trannoy, Alain, 2010. "Optimal income tax under the threat of migration by top-income earners," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 94(1-2), pages 163-173, February.
- PIASER, GwenaÃ«l, 2003.
"Labor mobility and income tax competition,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2003006, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Petter Osmundsen & Guttorm Schjelderup & Kåre Petter Hagen, 2000. "Personal income taxation under mobility, exogenous and endogenous welfare weights, and asymmetric information," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 13(4), pages 623-637.
- Zodrow, George R. & Mieszkowski, Peter, 1986. "Pigou, Tiebout, property taxation, and the underprovision of local public goods," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 356-370, May.
- Osmundsen, P. & Hagen, K. P. & Schjelderup, G., 1998. "Internationally mobile firms and tax policy1," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 97-113, June.
- Mirrlees, J. A., 1982. "Migration and optimal income taxes," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 319-341, August.
- Huber, Bernd, 1999. "Tax competition and tax coordination in an optimum income tax model," Munich Reprints in Economics 19402, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:btx:wpaper:1207. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dongxian Guo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.