"Putting All Eggs in One Basket" Thailand's Under-Investment Abroad: Impact and Explanations
This paper presents the degree of under-investment in foreign assets, known as a home–bias phenomenon, in 30 developed and developing countries across the world including Thailand. We find that Thailand’s home-bias is high compared to other countries’ home-bias and it decreases at a slower pace over time. The study also shows that a country with higher levels of home-bias experiences lower international risk sharing and has more volatile consumption patterns during the sample period of 1970 to 2010. To strengthen Thailand’s resiliency to unexpected economic shocks and maintain country’s economic welfare through better consumption smoothing, the policy challenges identified in this paper include capital outflow measures, tax policy, coherent institutional supports and guidelines to improve investors’ internationalized skills.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 273 Samsen Road, Bangkhunprom, Bangkok|
Phone: (662) 283-5353
Fax: (662) 280-0449
Web page: http://www.bot.or.th/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James Laurenceson & Kam Ki Tang, 2007. "Opening China's Capital Account: Modeling the Capital Flow Response," Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(1), pages 1-18.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014.
"A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-708, May.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fetscherin, Marc & Voss, Hinrich & Gugler, Philippe, 2010. "30 Years of foreign direct investment to China: An interdisciplinary literature review," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 235-246, June.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Xingwang Qian, 2009. "Empirics Of China'S Outward Direct Investment," Pacific Economic Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(3), pages 312-341, 08.
- Kho, Bong-Chan & Stulz, Rene M. & Warnock, Francis E., 2008.
"Financial globalization, governance, and the evolution of the home bias,"
Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper
12, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Bong-Chan Kho & René M. Stulz & Francis E. Warnock, 2009. "Financial Globalization, Governance, and the Evolution of the Home Bias," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(2), pages 597-635, 05.
- Bong-Chan Kho & René M. Stulz & Francis E. Warnock, 2006. "Financial Globalization, Governance, and the Evolution of the Home Bias," NBER Working Papers 12389, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bong-Chan Kho & René M Stulz & Francis E Warnock, 2006. "Financial globalisation, governance and the evolution of the home bias," BIS Working Papers 220, Bank for International Settlements.
- Kho, Bong-Chan & Stulz, Rene M. & Warnock, Francis E., 2006. "Financial Globalization, Governance, and the Evolution of the Home Bias," Working Paper Series 2006-12, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Karlsson, Anders & Norden, Lars, 2007. "Home sweet home: Home bias and international diversification among individual investors," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 317-333, February.
- David K. Backus & Patrick J. Kehoe & Finn E. Kydland, 1987.
"International real business cycles,"
426, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Mace, Barbara J, 1991. "Full Insurance in the Presence of Aggregate Uncertainty," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(5), pages 928-956, October.
- John H Dunning, 1998. "Location and the Multinational Enterprise: A Neglected Factor?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 29(1), pages 45-66, March.
- Kalok Chan & Vicentiu Covrig & Lilian Ng, 2005. "What Determines the Domestic Bias and Foreign Bias? Evidence from Mutual Fund Equity Allocations Worldwide," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(3), pages 1495-1534, 06.
- Sorensen, Bent E. & Wu, Yi-Tsung & Yosha, Oved & Zhu, Yu, 2007.
"Home bias and international risk sharing: Twin puzzles separated at birth,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 587-605, June.
- Sørensen, Bent E & Wu, Yi-Tsung & Yosha, Oved & Zhu, Yu, 2005. "Home Bias and International Risk Sharing: Twin Puzzles Separated at Birth," CEPR Discussion Papers 5113, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Karen K. Lewis, 1999. "Trying to Explain Home Bias in Equities and Consumption," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(2), pages 571-608, June.
- Pierfederico Asdrubali & Bent E. Sørensen & Oved Yosha, 1996. "Channels of Interstate Risk Sharing: United States 1963–1990," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 111(4), pages 1081-1110.
- Li, Kai & Sarkar, Asani & Wang, Zhenyu, 2003. "Diversification benefits of emerging markets subject to portfolio constraints," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 57-80, February.
- Dongmin Ke & Lilian Ng & Qinghai Wang, 2010. "Home bias in foreign investment decisions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 41(6), pages 960-979, August.
- Fidora, Michael & Fratzscher, Marcel & Thimann, Christian, 2006.
"Home bias in global bond and equity markets: the role of real exchange rate volatility,"
Working Paper Series
0685, European Central Bank.
- Fidora, Michael & Fratzscher, Marcel & Thimann, Christian, 2007. "Home bias in global bond and equity markets: The role of real exchange rate volatility," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 631-655, June.
- Soo Khoon Goh & Koi Nyen Wong, 2010. "Malaysiaâ€™s Outward FDI: The Effects of Host Market Size and Home Government Policy," Monash Economics Working Papers 33-10, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Rammal, Hussain Gulzar & Zurbruegg, Ralf, 2006. "The impact of regulatory quality on intra-foreign direct investment flows in the ASEAN markets," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 401-414, August.
- Hess, Gregory D. & Shin, Kwanho, 1998.
"Intranational business cycles in the United States,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 289-313, April.
- Gregory D. Hess & Kwanho Shin, 1995. "Intranational business cycles in the United States," Research Working Paper 95-07, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Hiratsuka, Daisuke, 2006. "Outward FDI from and intraregional FDI in ASEAN : trends and drivers," IDE Discussion Papers 77, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Eldor, Rafael & Pines, David & Schwartz, Abba, 1988. "Home asset preference and productivity shocks," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1-2), pages 165-176, August.
- Imbs, Jean, 2004.
"The Real Effects of Financial Integration,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4335, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kenneth R. French & James M. Poterba, 1991.
"Investor Diversification and International Equity Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
3609, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- French, Kenneth R & Poterba, James M, 1991. "Investor Diversification and International Equity Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(2), pages 222-226, May.
- Mario J. Crucini, 1999. "On International and National Dimensions of Risk Sharing," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(1), pages 73-84, February.
- Ahearne, Alan G. & Griever, William L. & Warnock, Francis E., 2004.
"Information costs and home bias: an analysis of US holdings of foreign equities,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 313-336, March.
- Alan G. Ahearne & William L. Griever & Francis E. Warnock, 2000. "Information costs and home bias: an analysis of U.S. holdings of foreign equities," International Finance Discussion Papers 691, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Juthathip Jongwanich & Maria Socorro Gochoco-Bautista & Jong-Wha Lee, 2011. "When are Capital Controls Effective? Evidence from Malaysia and Thailand," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(4), pages 619-651, December.
- V.N. Balasubramanyam, 2008. "Foreign Direct Investment," Chapters, in: International Handbook of Development Economics, Volumes 1 & 2, chapter 39 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Chordia, Tarun & Roll, Richard & Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar, 2000. "Commonality in liquidity," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 3-28, April.
- Crina Pungulescu, 2015. "Real effects of financial market integration: does lower home bias lead to welfare benefits?," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(10-11), pages 893-911, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bth:wpaper:2011-06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Pym Manopimoke)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.