Inflation Targeting and Inflation Persistence
This paper argues that the adoption of an inflation target reduces the persistence of inflation.We develop the theoretical literature on inflation persistence by introducing a Taylor rule for monetary policy into a model of persistence and showing that inflation targets reduce inflation persistence. We investigate changes in the time series properties of inflation in seven countries that introduced inflation targets in the late 1980s or early 1990s. We find that the persistence of inflation is greatly reduced or eliminated following the introduction of inflation targets.
|Date of creation:||May 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Brunel University, Uxbridge, Middlesex UB8 3PH, UK|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benati, Luca, 2008.
"Investigating inflation persistence across monetary regimes,"
Working Paper Series
0851, European Central Bank.
- Luca Benati, 2008. "Investigating Inflation Persistence Across Monetary Regimes," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 123(3), pages 1005-1060.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jaromír Baxa & Roman Horváth & Bořek Vašíček, 2010.
"How Does Monetary Policy Change? Evidence on Inflation Targeting Countries,"
Working Papers IES
2010/26, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Oct 2010.
- Baxa, Jaromír & Horváth, Roman & Vašíček, Bořek, 2014. "How Does Monetary Policy Change? Evidence On Inflation-Targeting Countries," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(03), pages 593-630, April.
- Jaromír Baxa & Roman Horváth & Borek Vasícek, 2010. "How Does Monetary Policy Change? Evidence on Inflation Targeting Countries," Working Papers wpdea1007, Department of Applied Economics at Universitat Autonoma of Barcelona.
- Jaromir Baxa & Roman Horvath & Borek Vasicek, 2010. "How Does Monetary Policy Change? Evidence on Inflation Targeting Countries," Working Papers 2010/02, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bru:bruedp:02-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John.Hunter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.