Does the European Semester deliver the right policy advice?
This paper was prepared at the request of the Economic and Monetary Affairs Commitee of the European Parliament. The July 2013 European Council recommendations to the euro area recognise a number of fiscal and macrostructural challenges, but do not fully exploit the options made possible by the European economic governance framework. There are particular problems with the Council's suggestions for the euro area as whole, which are not (or not adequately) reflected by the country-specific recommendations. A major drawback is that the Council recommendations do not give sufficient importance to symmetric intra-euro area adjustments. Reference to the euro area's ‘aggregate fiscal stance’ is empty rhetoric. Insufficient attention is paid to demand management.The most comprehensive recommendations are made on structural reforms. The July/August 2013 Article IV IMF recommendations on macroeconomic policies could also have been more ambitious, but they correspond better to the economic situation of the euro area than the Council’s recommendations. The President of the Eurogroup should continue discussions on the completion of the economic governance framework, including completion of the banking union and the setting-up of a euro-area institution responsible for managing the euro area’s aggregate fiscal stance.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Rue de la Charité, B-1210 Brussels|
Phone: +32 2 227 4210
Web page: http://www.bruegel.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tobias Cwik & Volker Wieland, 2011.
"Keynesian government spending multipliers and spillovers in the euro area,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 26(67), pages 493-549, 07.
- Cwik, Tobias J. & Wieland, Volker, 2009. "Keynesian government spending multipliers and spillovers in the Euro area," CFS Working Paper Series 2009/25, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Cwik, Tobias & Wieland, Volker, 2010. "Keynesian government spending multipliers and spillovers in the euro area," Working Paper Series 1267, European Central Bank.
- Cwik, Tobias & Wieland, Volker, 2009. "Keynesian government spending multipliers and spillovers in the euro area," CEPR Discussion Papers 7389, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Paul R. Krugman, 1998. "It's Baaack: Japan's Slump and the Return of the Liquidity Trap," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 29(2), pages 137-206.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Matthew weinzierl, 2011. "An Exploration of Optimal Stabilization Policy," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 42(1 (Spring), pages 209-272.
- Weinzierl, Matthew Charles & Eggertsson, Gauti B. & Blanchard, Olivier & Mankiw, N. Gregory, 2011. "An Exploration of Optimal Stabilization Policy," Scholarly Articles 11177699, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Matthew C. Weinzierl, 2011. "An Exploration of Optimal Stabilization Policy," NBER Working Papers 17029, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pierfederico Asdrubali & Bent E. Sørensen & Oved Yosha, 1996. "Channels of Interstate Risk Sharing: United States 1963–1990," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 111(4), pages 1081-1110.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Yuriy Gorodnichenko, 2012. "Measuring the Output Responses to Fiscal Policy," American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, American Economic Association, vol. 4(2), pages 1-27, May.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Yuriy Gorodnichenko, 2010. "Measuring the Output Responses to Fiscal Policy," NBER Working Papers 16311, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Melitz, Jacques & Zumer, Frederic, 2002. "Regional redistribution and stabilization by the center in Canada, France, the UK and the US:: A reassessment and new tests," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 263-286, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bre:polcon:793. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruegel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.