Intellectual Property Rights and South-North Global Innovation Networks
This paper explores the role of IPR protection in the emergence of R&D linkages from newly emerging economies. Using data from a new survey on Chinese and Indian firms in the ICT sector, we find IPR protection to be key in the engagement of Southern firms in global innovation networks. A complementary exercise uses global bilateral patent data to investigate the location-specificity of IPR enforcement for this phenomenon. We find that a stringent IPR regime in the North (South) discourages (encourage) foreign patenting activities of firms in the South, suggesting that a global convergence of IPRs can stimulate Southern innovation.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 051 209 8019 and 2600
Fax: +39 051 209 8040 and 2664
Web page: http://www.dse.unibo.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Rose, Andrew K., 2001.
"An Estimate of the Effect of Common Currencies on Trade and Income,"
Working Paper Series
rwp01-013, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Jeffrey Frankel & Andrew Rose, 2002. "An Estimate Of The Effect Of Common Currencies On Trade And Income," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 117(2), pages 437-466, May.
- Park, Walter G., 2008. "International patent protection: 1960-2005," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 761-766, May.
- Head, Keith & Mayer, Thierry & Ries, John, 2010.
"The erosion of colonial trade linkages after independence,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 1-14, May.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer & John Ries, 2008. "The erosion of colonial trade linkages after independence," Sciences Po publications 6951, Sciences Po.
- Head, Keith & Mayer, Thierry & Ries, John, 2008. "The Erosion of Colonial Trade Linkages After Independence," CEPR Discussion Papers 6951, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Keith Head & Thierry Mayer & John Ries, 2011. "The erosion of colonial trade linkages after independence," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/c8dmi8nm4pd, Sciences Po.
- Thierry Mayer & Keith Head & John Ries, 2008. "The Erosion of Colonial Trade Linkages after Independence," Working Papers 2008-27, CEPII research center.
- Robert J. Barro & Jong-Wha Lee, 2010.
"A New Data Set of Educational Attainment in the World, 1950-2010,"
NBER Working Papers
15902, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barro, Robert J. & Lee, Jong Wha, 2013. "A new data set of educational attainment in the world, 1950–2010," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 104(C), pages 184-198.
- Sun, Yifei, 2003. "Determinants of foreign patents in China," World Patent Information, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 27-37, March.
- Joao Santos Silva & Silvana Tenreyro, 2005.
"The log of gravity,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
3744, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Megan MacGarvie, 2006.
"The Private Value of Software Patents,"
NBER Working Papers
12195, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Correa, Carlos, 2007. "Trade Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights: A Commentary on the TRIPS Agreement," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199271283, March.
- Ginarte, Juan C. & Park, Walter G., 1997. "Determinants of patent rights: A cross-national study," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 283-301, October.
- Kazuhiro Asakawa & Ashok Som, 2008. "Internationalization of R&D in China and India: Conventional wisdom versus reality," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 25(3), pages 375-394, September.
- Branstetter, Lee G. & Fisman, Raymond & Foley, C. Fritz, 2004.
"Do stronger intellectual property rights increase international technology transfer? Empirical evidence from U.S. firm-level panel data,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3305, The World Bank.
- Lee G Branstetter & Raymond Fisman & C. Fritz Foley, 2006. "Do Stronger Intellectual Property Rights Increase International Technology Transfer? Empirical Evidence from U. S. Firm-Level Panel Data," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 121(1), pages 321-349, 02.
- Daron Acemoglu & Philippe Aghion & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 2002.
"Distance to Frontier, Selection, and Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
9066, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daron Acemoglu & Philippe Aghion & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 2006. "Distance to Frontier, Selection, and Economic Growth," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 4(1), pages 37-74, 03.
- Zilibotti, Fabrizio & Aghion, Philippe & Acemoglu, Daron, 2006. "Distance to Frontier, Selection, and Economic Growth," Scholarly Articles 4554122, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Aghion, Philippe & Zilibotti, Fabrizio, 2002. "Distance to Frontier, Selection, and Economic Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 3467, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Brent B Allred & Walter G Park, 2007. "Patent rights and innovative activity: evidence from national and firm-level data," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(6), pages 878-900, November.
- Chen, Yongmin & Puttitanun, Thitima, 2005. "Intellectual property rights and innovation in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 474-493, December.
- Oecd, 2007. "Is China the New Centre for Offshoring of IT and ICT-Enabled Services?," OECD Digital Economy Papers 128, OECD Publishing.
- Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & Dominique Guellec, 2007.
"The economics of the European patent system: IP policy for innovation and competition,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/6183, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Guellec, Dominique & van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno, 2007. "The Economics of the European Patent System: IP Policy for Innovation and Competition," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199216987, March.
- Picci, Lucio, 2009.
"The Internationalization of Inventive Activity: A Gravity Model Using Patent Data,"
18467, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Picci, Lucio, 2010. "The internationalization of inventive activity: A gravity model using patent data," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(8), pages 1070-1081, October.
- Picci, Lucio, 2008. "The Internationalization of Inventive Activity: A Gravity Model Using Patent Data," MPRA Paper 12700, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Braga, C.A.P. & Fink, C. & Sepulveda, C.P., 2000. "Intellectual Property Rights and Economic Development," World Bank - Discussion Papers 412, World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bol:bodewp:wp764. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luca Miselli)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Luca Miselli to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.