Constructing intersectoral innovation diffusion networks with input-output: how to get relative flows? An illustrative application to six OECD technological systems for the middle '90s
The paper aims at addressing some methodological issues in applying Social Network Analysis indicators to the investigation of nation-wide intersectoral innovation ows matrices. The majority of SNA techniques require dichotomization of the original matrices and suitable relativization procedures, in order to avoid size-biases. The relativization procedures used so far suffer from some limitations, as they either alter the meaning of SNA indicators or do not take into account the composition of countries' final demand. In order to overcome these limitations, we propose two new different methods and compare them with the existing ones on the basis of their rationale. Rather than with respect to a single cut-off, the comparison is carried out by working out SNA indicators distributions. An illustrative application is carried out by comparing the technological systems of six structurally different OECD countries in the mid-'90s. In so doing, the robustness of their conventional innovation ranking is tested and discussed.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazza Scaravilli, 2, and Strada Maggiore, 45, 40125 Bologna|
Phone: +39 051 209 8019 and 2600
Fax: +39 051 209 8040 and 2664
Web page: http://www.dse.unibo.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sandro Montresor & Giuseppe Vittucci Marzetti, 2011.
"The deindustrialisation/tertiarisation hypothesis reconsidered: a subsystem application to the OECD7,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 35(2), pages 401-421.
- S. Montresor & G. Vittucci Marzetti, 2008. "The deindustrialisation/tertiarisation hypothesis reconsidered: a subsystem application to the OECD7," Working Papers 622, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Leoncini, Riccardo, 1998. "The nature of long-run technological change: innovation, evolution and technological systems," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 75-93, May.
- Riccardo Leoncini & Sandro Montresor, 2000. "Network Analysis of Eight Technological Systems," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(2), pages 213-234.
- R. Leoncini & S. Montresor, 1998. "Network Analysis of Eight Technological Systems," Working Papers 329, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Sandro Montresor & Giuseppe Vittucci Marzetti, 2007. "Innovation Clusters in Technological Systems: A Network Analysis of 15 OECD Countries for the Middle '90s," DRUID Working Papers 07-15, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Leoncini, R. & Maggioni, M. A. & Montresor, S., 1996. "Intersectoral innovation flows and national technological systems: network analysis for comparing Italy and Germany," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 415-430, May.
- Leoncini, R. & Montresor, S., 2005. "Accounting for core and extra-core relationships in technological systems: a methodological proposal," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 83-100, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bol:bodewp:649. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.