Structural Change and Economic Growth: Production in the Short Run — A generalisation in terms of vertically hyper-integrated sectors
Pasinetti’s (1981) Structural Change and Economic Growth provides a complete and far reaching theoretical framework for the study of structural change, and therefore of economic development, rooted in in the Classical-Sraffian tradition. Some attempts have been made, both in the ’80s — for instance Siniscalco (1982) and Momigliano & Siniscalco (1986) — and more recently — e.g. Montresor & Vittucci Marzetti (2007a) and Montresor & Vittucci Marzetti (2008) — to use this framework for empirical purposes. However, all these attempts are based on Pasinetti’s (1973) paper, i.e. on vertically integrated analysis. It is my contention that, as a consequence, they failed to recognise, and therefore to take advantage of, the main analytical feature of the 1981 book, namely vertical hyper-integration. Actually, when trying to overcome the simplifying assumptions made by Pasinetti (1981) as regards the description of the technique, the starting point should be Pasinetti (1988), and not Pasinetti (1973), the latter being an intermediate step leading to the former. The aim of the present paper is therefore, first of all, that of highlighting the key differences between Pasinetti (1973) and Pasinetti (1988), in order to show Pasinetti’s (1981) vertically hyper-integrated character. In the second place, the whole analytical framework provided by Pasinetti (1981) will be generalised by reintroducing inter-industry relations and allowing for more complex dynamics of economic magnitudes. This conceptual clarification and analytical generalisation is intended to be the first step of a line of research aiming at using, and extending, the present framework to perform empirical analyses and study the behaviour of actual economic systems.
|Date of creation:||20 May 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nadia Garbellini & Ariel Luis Wirkierman, 2014.
"Pasinetti's 'Structural Change and Economic Growth': A Conceptual Excursus,"
Review of Political Economy,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 26(2), pages 234-257, April.
- Garbellini, Nadia & Wirkierman, Ariel Luis, 2010. "Pasinetti’s Structural Change and Economic Growth: a conceptual excursus," MPRA Paper 25685, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Garbellini, Nadia, 2010. "Structural Change and Economic Growth: Production in the Short Run — A generalisation in terms of vertically hyper-integrated sectors," MPRA Paper 25684, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sandro Montresor & Giuseppe Vittucci Marzetti, 2011. "The deindustrialisation/tertiarisation hypothesis reconsidered: a subsystem application to the OECD7," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(2), pages 401-421.
- S. Montresor & G. Vittucci Marzetti, 2008. "The deindustrialisation/tertiarisation hypothesis reconsidered: a subsystem application to the OECD7," Working Papers 622, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- S. Montresor & Vittucci & G. Marzetti, 2008. "Constructing intersectoral innovation diffusion networks with input-output: how to get relative flows? An illustrative application to six OECD technological systems for the middle '90s," Working Papers 649, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Oscar De Juan & Eladio Febrero, 2000. "Measuring Productivity from Vertically Integrated Sectors," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(1), pages 65-82.
- Montresor Sandro & Vittucci Marzetti Giuseppe, 2007. "Outsourcing and Structural Change: What Can Input-Output Analysis Say About It?," Economia politica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 43-78.
- S. Montresor & G. Vittucci Marzetti, 2006. "Outsourcing and structural change: shifting firm and sectoral boundaries," Working Papers 566, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:25684. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.