The technological system of Chinese manufacturing industry: A sectorial approach
The purpose of this paper is to analyze the technological system of Chinese manufacturing. The input-output method and network analysis are applied to investigate the structure and performance at the system level and the role of each sector at the individual level in 1997 and 2002. Firstly, the R&D-flow matrices for per unit output are constructed to examine the technology intensity and constitution of each sector. And then they are combined with the economic size and R&D investment structure in order to have a more comprehensive understanding of the system at the gross level, and reveal the main technology diffusion providers, acquirers and techno-economic flows between sectors. Results of both years show that the R&D performance and technology providing for diffusion are more concentrated than technology acquiring, and this difference becomes even greater in 2002. There are fewer sectors which act as main technology diffusion sources while more sectors participate as acquirers of technology diffusion. The techno-economic flows have high dependence on a few traditional sectors and the contribution of high-tech sectors such as ICT is quite limited.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amable, Bruno & Palombarini, Stéfano, 1998.
"Technical change and incorporated R&D in the service sector,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Amable, Bruno & Palombarini, Stefano, 1998. "Technical change and incorporated R&D in the service sector," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(7), pages 655-675, November.
- Ina Drejer, 2000. "Comparing Patterns of Industrial Interdependence in National Systems of Innovation - A Study of Germany, the United Kingdom, Japan and the United States," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 377-399.
- R. Leoncini & S. Montresor, 1998.
"Network Analysis of Eight Technological Systems,"
329, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Leoncini, R. & Maggioni, M. A. & Montresor, S., 1996. "Intersectoral innovation flows and national technological systems: network analysis for comparing Italy and Germany," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 415-430, May.
- Liu, Xielin & White, Steven, 2001. "Comparing innovation systems: a framework and application to China's transitional context," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1091-1114, August.
- Sandro Montresor & Giuseppe Vittucci Marzetti, 2008. "Innovation Clusters in Technological Systems: A Network Analysis of 15 OECD Countries for the Mid-1990s," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(3), pages 321-346.
- Carlsson, Bo & Jacobsson, Staffan & Holmen, Magnus & Rickne, Annika, 2002. "Innovation systems: analytical and methodological issues," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 233-245, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:chieco:v:20:y:2009:i:4:p:767-776. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.