Network Analysis of Eight Technological Systems
This paper aims to measure and compare some key relationships relative to the technological systems of eight OECD countries along three temporal spans (early 1980s, middle 1980s, early 1990s). For each technological system, a matrix of intersectoral innovation flows is constructed and network analysis is then performed to examine the density distributions of the innovative flows, and the degree of centrality/centralisation of each of its nodes.The first kind of analysis allows a quantitative comparison of the intensity of the linkages among the systemic nodes considered, while the second allows us to examine qualitatively the different internal structures identified by cutting-off flows of a certain magnitude. The main results of the paper are a clear distinction among technological systems with different structural characteristics (e.g. size, technological intensity, and institutional arrangements suggesting the existence of different 'models of capitalism'), and a clear pattern of 'convergence' among the technological systems along time.
Volume (Year): 14 (2000)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CIRA20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CIRA20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leoncini, R. & Maggioni, M. A. & Montresor, S., 1996. "Intersectoral innovation flows and national technological systems: network analysis for comparing Italy and Germany," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 415-430, May.
- Leoncini, Riccardo, 1998. "The nature of long-run technological change: innovation, evolution and technological systems," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 75-93, May.
- Papaconstantinou, G. & Sakurai, N. & Wyckoff, A., 1998. "Domestic and international product-embodied R&D diffusion," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 301-314, July.
- Griliches, Zvi, 1990.
"Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 28(4), pages 1661-1707, December.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," NBER Chapters, in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 287-343 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zvi Griliches, 1990. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," NBER Working Papers 3301, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:fth:harver:1473 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pavitt, Keith, 1984. "Sectoral patterns of technical change: Towards a taxonomy and a theory," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 343-373, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:irapec:v:14:y:2000:i:2:p:213-234. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.