Expectations, risk premia and information spanning in dynamic term structure model estimation
This article examines the nature of the empirical instability in dynamic term structure models. I show that using survey forecasts is an effective solution because it directly addresses the information imbalance at the heart of the instability: it increases the (cross-section) information on actual dynamics, bridging the gap with the large (cross-section) information on the risk-adjusted dynamics. I relate this to other information spanning problems, particularly spanning of macro factors, and discuss the desirability of anchoring models to surveys. I also show that restricting prices of risk is not effective in ensuring stable and sensible implied expectations.
|Date of creation:||28 Mar 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (0)171 601 4030
Fax: +44 (0)171 601 5196
Web page: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fabio Milani & Ashish Rajbhandari, 2012. "Expectation Formation and Monetary DSGE Models: Beyond the Rational Expectations Paradigm," Working Papers 111212, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
- Fernanda Nechio & Carlos Carvalho, 2012.
"Do People Understand Monetary Policy?,"
2012 Meeting Papers
426, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Carlos Carvalho & Fernanda Nechio, 2012. "Do people undestand monetary policy?," Working Paper Series 2012-01, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Carlos Carvalho & Fernanda Nechio, 2013. "Do People Understand Monetary Policy?," Textos para discussão 618, Department of Economics PUC-Rio (Brazil).
- Kim, Don H. & Orphanides, Athanasios, 2012.
"Term Structure Estimation with Survey Data on Interest Rate Forecasts,"
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 47(01), pages 241-272, April.
- Kim, Don H. & Orphanides, Athanasios, 2005. "Term Structure Estimation with Survey Data on Interest Rate Forecasts," CEPR Discussion Papers 5341, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Athanasios Orphanides & Don H. Kim, 2005. "Term Structure Estimation with Survey Data on Interest Rate Forecasts," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 474, Society for Computational Economics.
- Don H. Kim & Athanasios Orphanides, 2005. "Term structure estimation with survey data on interest rate forecasts," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2005-48, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Altavilla, Carlo & Giacomini, Raffaella & Ragusa, Giuseppe, 2014.
"Anchoring the yield curve using survey expectations,"
Working Paper Series
1632, European Central Bank.
- Altavilla, Carlo & Giacomini, Raffaella & Ragusa, Giuseppe, 2013. "Anchoring the Yield Curve Using Survey Expectations," CEPR Discussion Papers 9738, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Carlo Altavilla & Raffaella Giacomini & Giuseppe Ragusa, 2013. "Anchoring the yield curve using survey expectations," CeMMAP working papers CWP52/13, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Michael D. Bauer & Glenn D. Rudebusch & Jing Cynthia Wu, 2012. "Correcting Estimation Bias in Dynamic Term Structure Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(3), pages 454-467, April.
- Albert Lee Chun, 2005.
"Expectations, Bond Yields and Monetary Policy,"
04-023, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research, revised Nov 2010.
- Stephen Cole & Fabio Milani, 2014. "The Misspecification of Expectations in New Keynesian Models: A DSGE-VAR Approach," Working Papers 131407, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
- Heidari, Massoud & Wu, Liuren, 2009. "A Joint Framework for Consistently Pricing Interest Rates and Interest Rate Derivatives," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 44(03), pages 517-550, June.
- Ruslan Bikbov & Mikhail Chernov, 2011. "Yield Curve and Volatility: Lessons from Eurodollar Futures and Options," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 9(1), pages 66-105, Winter.
- Easaw Joshy & Golinelli Roberto, 2010. "Households Forming Inflation Expectations: Active and Passive Absorption Rates," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 10(1), pages 1-32, November.
- Joyce, Michael & Lildholdt, Peter & Sorensen, Steffen, 2009.
"Extracting inflation expectations and inflation risk premia from the term structure: a joint model of the UK nominal and real yield curves,"
Bank of England working papers
360, Bank of England.
- Joyce, Michael A.S. & Lildholdt, Peter & Sorensen, Steffen, 2010. "Extracting inflation expectations and inflation risk premia from the term structure: A joint model of the UK nominal and real yield curves," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 281-294, February.
- Caroline JARDET & Alain MONFORT & Fulvio PEGORARO, 2011.
"No-arbitrage Near-Cointegrated VAR(p) Term Structure Models, Term Premia and GDP Growth,"
2011-03, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Jardet, Caroline & Monfort, Alain & Pegoraro, Fulvio, 2013. "No-arbitrage Near-Cointegrated VAR(p) term structure models, term premia and GDP growth," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 389-402.
- Jardet, C. & Monfort, A. & Pegoraro, F., 2009. "No-arbitrage Near-Cointegrated VAR(p) Term Structure Models, Term Premia and GDP Growth," Working papers 234, Banque de France.
- Chernov, Mikhail & Mueller, Philippe, 2012.
"The term structure of inflation expectations,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 367-394.
- Christopher D Carroll, 2002.
"Macroeconomic Expectations of Households and Professional Forecasters,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
477, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Christopher D. Carroll, 2003. "Macroeconomic Expectations Of Households And Professional Forecasters," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 118(1), pages 269-298, February.
- Smith, Tom, 2012. "Option-implied probability distributions for future inflation," Bank of England Quarterly Bulletin, Bank of England, vol. 52(3), pages 224-234.
- Don H Kim & Athanasios Orphanides, 2007. "The bond market term premium: what is it, and how can we measure it?," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:boe:boeewp:0489. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publications Team)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.