The bond market term premium: what is it, and how can we measure it?
We review the concept of the term premium, examine alternative methods used to estimate it and discuss some of the challenges encountered in such efforts. We also explain how survey forecasts could be useful for providing an informal, model-free cross-check on simple regression-based forecasting models of term premia and for formal estimation of flexibly specified no-arbitrage models.
Volume (Year): (2007)
Issue (Month): (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (41) 61 - 280 80 80
Fax: (41) 61 - 280 91 00
Web page: http://www.bis.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Monika Piazzesi & Eric Swanson, 2004.
"Futures Prices as Risk-adjusted Forecasts of Monetary Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
10547, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Piazzesi, Monika & Swanson, Eric T., 2008. "Futures prices as risk-adjusted forecasts of monetary policy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(4), pages 677-691, May.
- Monika Piazzesi & Eric Swanson, 2004. "Future prices as risk-adjusted forecasts of monetary policy," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Mar.
- Monika Piazzesi & Eric T. Swanson, 2006. "Futures prices as risk-adjusted forecasts of monetary policy," Working Paper Series 2006-23, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Vincent Reinhart & Brian Sack, 2002. "The changing information content of market interest rates," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Market functioning and central bank policy, volume 12, pages 340-357 Bank for International Settlements.
- Todd E. Clark & Michael W. McCracken, 2003.
"The predictive content of the output gap for inflation : resolving in-sample and out-of-sample evidence,"
Research Working Paper
RWP 03-06, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Clark, Todd E. & McCracken, Michael W., 2006. "The Predictive Content of the Output Gap for Inflation: Resolving In-Sample and Out-of-Sample Evidence," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(5), pages 1127-1148, August.
- Michael W. McCracken & Todd E. Clark, 2003. "The Predictive Content of the Output Gap for Inflation: Resolving In-Sample and Out-of-Sample Evidence," Computing in Economics and Finance 2003 183, Society for Computational Economics.
- Fama, Eugene F & Bliss, Robert R, 1987. "The Information in Long-Maturity Forward Rates," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(4), pages 680-92, September.
- Peter Hoerdahl & Oreste Tristani, 2004.
"A joint econometric model of macroeconomic and term structure dynamics,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings
379, Econometric Society.
- Hordahl, Peter & Tristani, Oreste & Vestin, David, 2006. "A joint econometric model of macroeconomic and term-structure dynamics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 131(1-2), pages 405-444.
- Peter Hordahl & Oreste Tristani & David Vestin, 2004. "A joint econometric model of macroeconomic and term structure dynamics," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003 48, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Hördahl, Peter & Tristani, Oreste & Vestin, David, 2004. "A joint econometric model of macroeconomic and term structure dynamics," Working Paper Series 0405, European Central Bank.
- Kozicki, Sharon & Tinsley, P. A., 2001.
"Shifting endpoints in the term structure of interest rates,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 613-652, June.
- Sharon Kozicki & P.A. Tinsley, 1997. "Shifting endpoints in the term structure of interest rates," Research Working Paper 97-08, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Blaise Gadanecz & Richhild Moessner & Christian Upper, 2007. "Economic derivatives," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- Wayne E. Ferson & Sergei Sarkissian & Timothy Simin, 2002.
"Spurious Regressions in Financial Economics?,"
NBER Working Papers
9143, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John H. Cochrane & Monika Piazzesi, 2002.
"Bond Risk Premia,"
NBER Working Papers
9178, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Qiang Dai & Kenneth J. Singleton, 2000. "Specification Analysis of Affine Term Structure Models," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(5), pages 1943-1978, October.
- Gregory R. Duffee, 2002. "Term Premia and Interest Rate Forecasts in Affine Models," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 405-443, 02.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bis:bisqtr:0706e. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Beslmeisl)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.