How did the crisis in international funding markets affect bank lending? Balance sheet evidence from the United Kingdom
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Viral V. Acharya & Douglas Gale & Tanju Yorulmazer, 2011.
"Rollover Risk and Market Freezes,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 66(4), pages 1177-1209, August.
- Acharya, Viral V & Gale, Douglas M & Yorulmazer, Tanju, 2009. "Rollover Risk and Market Freezes," CEPR Discussion Papers 7122, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Acharya, Viral & Gale, Douglas & Yorulmazer, Tanju, 2010. "Rollover Risk and Market Freezes," Working Papers 11-11, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, Weiss Center.
- Viral V. Acharya & Douglas Gale & Tanju Yorulmazer, 2010. "Rollover Risk and Market Freezes," NBER Working Papers 15674, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cerutti, Eugenio & Dell'Ariccia, Giovanni & Martinez Peria, Maria Soledad, 2007. "How banks go abroad: Branches or subsidiaries?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1669-1692, June.
- Campello, Murillo & Graham, John R. & Harvey, Campbell R., 2010.
"The real effects of financial constraints: Evidence from a financial crisis,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 470-487, September.
- Murillo Campello & John Graham & Campbell R. Harvey, 2009. "The Real Effects of Financial Constraints: Evidence from a Financial Crisis," NBER Working Papers 15552, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Mody, Ashoka & Nedeljkovic, Milan & Sarno, Lucio, 2012.
"How the Subprime Crisis went global: Evidence from bank credit default swap spreads,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 1299-1318.
- Barry Eichengreen & Ashoka Mody & Milan Nedeljkovic & Lucio Sarno, 2009. "How the Subprime Crisis Went Global: Evidence from Bank Credit Default Swap Spreads," NBER Working Papers 14904, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Eichengreen & Ashoka Mody & Milan Nedeljkovic & Lucio Sarno, 2012. "How the Subprime Crisis Went Global: Evidence from Bank Credit Default Swap Spreads," Working papers 21, National Bank of Serbia.
- Carlos O. Arteta & Mark S. Carey & Ricardo Correa & Jason Kotter, 2008.
"Which banks sponsored ABCP vehicles and why?,"
1072, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Carlos O. Arteta & Mark S. Carey & Ricardo Correa & Jason Kotter, 2013. "Revenge of the steamroller: ABCP as a window on risk choices," International Finance Discussion Papers 1076, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Niall Coffey & Warren B. Hrung & Hoai-Luu Nguyen & Asani Sarkar, 2009. "The global financial crisis and offshore dollar markets," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 15(Oct).
- de Haas, Ralph & van Lelyveld, Iman, 2006.
"Foreign banks and credit stability in Central and Eastern Europe. A panel data analysis,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1927-1952, July.
- Ralph de Haas & Iman van Lelyveld, 2003. "Foreign Banks and Credit Stability in Central and Eastern Europe: A Panel Data Analysis," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 109, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Daniel M. Covitz & J. Nellie Liang & Gustavo A. Suarez, 2009. "The evolution of a financial crisis: panic in the asset-backed commercial paper market," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2009-36, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Allen, William A. & Moessner, Richhild, 2012.
"The international propagation of the financial crisis of 2008 and a comparison with 1931,"
Financial History Review,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(02), pages 123-147, August.
- William A. Allen & Richhild Moessner, 2011. "The international propagation of the financial crisis of 2008 and a comparison with 1931," BIS Working Papers 348, Bank for International Settlements.
- Temesvary, Judit, 2015. "Foreign activities of U.S. banks since 1997: The roles of regulations and market conditions in crises and normal times," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 56(C), pages 202-222.
- Hills, Robert & Hooley, John & Korniyenko, Yevgeniya & Wieladek, Tomasz, 2015. "International banking and liquidity risk transmission: lessons from the United Kingdom," Bank of England working papers 562, Bank of England.
- Andrew K. Rose & Tomasz Wieladek, 2011. "Financial Protectionism: the First Tests," NBER Working Papers 17073, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrea F. Presbitero & Gregory F. Udell & Alberto Zazzaro, 2014.
"The Home Bias and the Credit Crunch: A Regional Perspective,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 46(s1), pages 53-85, February.
- Andrea Filippo Presbitero & Gregory F. Udell & Alberto Zazzaro, 2012. "The Home Bias and the Credit Crunch: A Regional Perspective," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 60, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Aiyar, Shekhar & Calomiris , Charles W & Wieladek, Tomasz, 2012.
"Does macropru leak? Evidence from a UK policy experiment,"
Bank of England working papers
445, Bank of England.
- Shekhar Aiyar & Charles W. Calomiris & Tomasz Wieladek, 2012. "Does Macro-Pru Leak? Evidence from a UK Policy Experiment," NBER Working Papers 17822, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Cobham & Yue Kang, 2012.
"Financial Crisis And Quantitative Easing: Can Broad Money Tell Us Anything?,"
University of Manchester, vol. 80, pages 54-76, September.
- David Cobham & Yue Kang, 2012. "Financial crisis and quantitative easing: can broad money tell us anything?," Heriot-Watt University Economics Discussion Papers 1206, Department of Economics, School of Management and Languages, Heriot Watt University.
- Cobham, David & Kang, Yue, 2012. "Financial crisis and quantitative easing: can broad money tell us anything?," SIRE Discussion Papers 2012-55, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Joyce, Michael & Spaltro, Marco, 2014. "Quantitative easing and bank lending: a panel data approach," Bank of England working papers 504, Bank of England.
- Shekhar Aiyar & Romain A Duval & Damien Puy & Yiqun Wu & Longmei Zhang, 2013. "Growth Slowdowns and the Middle-Income Trap," IMF Working Papers 13/71, International Monetary Fund.
- Ralph Haas & Iman Lelyveld, 2014.
"Multinational Banks and the Global Financial Crisis: Weathering the Perfect Storm?,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 46(s1), pages 333-364, February.
- Ralph de Haas & Iman van Lelyveld, 2011. "Multinational Banks and the Global Financial Crisis. Weathering the Perfect Storm?," DNB Working Papers 322, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Shekhar Aiyar & Sonali Jain-Chandra, 2012. "The Domestic Credit Supply Response to International Bank Deleveraging; Is Asia Different?," IMF Working Papers 12/258, International Monetary Fund.
- Enders, Zeno & Peter, Alexandra, 2015. "Global Banking, Trade, and the International Transmission of the Great Recession," Annual Conference 2015 (Muenster): Economic Development - Theory and Policy 113022, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Al-Saffar, Yaser & Ridinger, Wolfgang & Whitaker, Simon, 2015. "Financial Stability Paper No 24: The role of external balance sheets in the financial crisis," Bank of England Financial Stability Papers 24, Bank of England.
- Shekhar Aiyar, 2012. "From Financial Crisis to Great Recession: The Role of Globalized Banks," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 102(3), pages 225-230, May.
- Nicolas Arregui & Jaromir Benes & Ivo Krznar & Srobona Mitra & Andre O Santos, 2013. "Evaluating the Net Benefits of Macroprudential Policy; A Cookbook," IMF Working Papers 13/167, International Monetary Fund.
- Hoggarth, Glenn & Hooley, John & Korniyenko, Yevgeniya, 2013. "Financial Stability Paper No 22: Which way do foreign branches sway? Evidence from the recent UK domestic credit cycle," Bank of England Financial Stability Papers 22, Bank of England.
- Lorenzo Sasso, 2016. "Bank Capital Structure and Financial Innovation: Antagonists or Two Sides of the Same Coin?," HSE Working papers WP BRP 66/LAW/2016, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- Scopelliti, Alessandro Diego, 2013. "Off-balance sheet credit exposure and asset securitisation: what impact on bank credit supply?," MPRA Paper 43890, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Düwel, Cornelia, 2013. "Repo funding and internal capital markets in the financial crisis," Discussion Papers 16/2013, Deutsche Bundesbank.
- Berrospide, Jose M. & Herrerias, Renata, 2015. "Finance companies in Mexico: Unexpected victims of the global liquidity crunch," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 18(C), pages 33-54.
- Shekhar Aiyar & Charles W. Calomiris & Tomasz Wieladek, 2015. "How to Strengthen the Regulation of Bank Capital: Theory, Evidence, and A Proposal," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 27(1), pages 27-36, March.
More about this item
KeywordsLiquidity shock; transmission mechanism; bank lending; instrumental variables.;
- E30 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- E50 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - General
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
- G20 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - General
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-04-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2011-04-30 (Banking)
- NEP-CBA-2011-04-30 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2011-04-30 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2011-04-30 (Monetary Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:boe:boeewp:0424. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Digital Media Team). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/boegvuk.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.