How did the crisis in international funding markets affect bank lending? Balance sheet evidence from the United Kingdom
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Campello, Murillo & Graham, John R. & Harvey, Campbell R., 2010.
"The real effects of financial constraints: Evidence from a financial crisis,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 470-487, September.
- Murillo Campello & John Graham & Campbell R. Harvey, 2009. "The Real Effects of Financial Constraints: Evidence from a Financial Crisis," NBER Working Papers 15552, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Mody, Ashoka & Nedeljkovic, Milan & Sarno, Lucio, 2012.
"How the Subprime Crisis went global: Evidence from bank credit default swap spreads,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 1299-1318.
- Barry Eichengreen & Ashoka Mody & Milan Nedeljkovic & Lucio Sarno, 2009. "How the Subprime Crisis Went Global: Evidence from Bank Credit Default Swap Spreads," NBER Working Papers 14904, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Eichengreen & Ashoka Mody & Milan Nedeljkovic & Lucio Sarno, 2012. "How the Subprime Crisis Went Global: Evidence from Bank Credit Default Swap Spreads," Working papers 21, National Bank of Serbia.
- Daniel M. Covitz & J. Nellie Liang & Gustavo A. Suarez, 2009. "The evolution of a financial crisis: panic in the asset-backed commercial paper market," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2009-36, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Carlos O. Arteta & Mark S. Carey & Ricardo Correa & Jason Kotter, 2008.
"Which banks sponsored ABCP vehicles and why?,"
1072, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Carlos O. Arteta & Mark S. Carey & Ricardo Correa & Jason Kotter, 2013. "Revenge of the steamroller: ABCP as a window on risk choices," International Finance Discussion Papers 1076, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Viral V. Acharya & Douglas Gale & Tanju Yorulmazer, 2011.
"Rollover Risk and Market Freezes,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 66(4), pages 1177-1209, August.
- Acharya, Viral V & Gale, Douglas M & Yorulmazer, Tanju, 2009. "Rollover Risk and Market Freezes," CEPR Discussion Papers 7122, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Viral V. Acharya & Douglas Gale & Tanju Yorulmazer, 2010. "Rollover Risk and Market Freezes," NBER Working Papers 15674, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cerutti, Eugenio & Dell'Ariccia, Giovanni & Martinez Peria, Maria Soledad, 2007. "How banks go abroad: Branches or subsidiaries?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1669-1692, June.
- Niall Coffey & Warren B. Hrung & Hoai-Luu Nguyen & Asani Sarkar, 2009. "The global financial crisis and offshore dollar markets," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 15(Oct).
- de Haas, Ralph & van Lelyveld, Iman, 2006.
"Foreign banks and credit stability in Central and Eastern Europe. A panel data analysis,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1927-1952, July.
- Ralph de Haas & Iman van Lelyveld, 2003. "Foreign Banks and Credit Stability in Central and Eastern Europe: A Panel Data Analysis," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 109, Netherlands Central Bank.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Allen, William A. & Moessner, Richhild, 2012.
"The international propagation of the financial crisis of 2008 and a comparison with 1931,"
Financial History Review,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(02), pages 123-147, August.
- William A. Allen & Richhild Moessner, 2011. "The international propagation of the financial crisis of 2008 and a comparison with 1931," BIS Working Papers 348, Bank for International Settlements.
- Temesvary, Judit, 2015. "Foreign activities of U.S. banks since 1997: The roles of regulations and market conditions in crises and normal times," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 56(C), pages 202-222.
- Hills, Robert & Hooley, John & Korniyenko, Yevgeniya & Wieladek, Tomasz, 2015. "International banking and liquidity risk transmission: lessons from the United Kingdom," Bank of England working papers 562, Bank of England.
- Andrew K. Rose & Tomasz Wieladek, 2011. "Financial Protectionism: the First Tests," NBER Working Papers 17073, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrea F. Presbitero & Gregory F. Udell & Alberto Zazzaro, 2014.
"The Home Bias and the Credit Crunch: A Regional Perspective,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 46(s1), pages 53-85, February.
- Andrea Filippo Presbitero & Gregory F. Udell & Alberto Zazzaro, 2012. "The Home Bias and the Credit Crunch: A Regional Perspective," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 60, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Aiyar, Shekhar & Calomiris , Charles W & Wieladek, Tomasz, 2012.
"Does macropru leak? Evidence from a UK policy experiment,"
Bank of England working papers
445, Bank of England.
- Shekhar Aiyar & Charles W. Calomiris & Tomasz Wieladek, 2012. "Does Macro-Pru Leak? Evidence from a UK Policy Experiment," NBER Working Papers 17822, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Cobham & Yue Kang, 2012.
"Financial Crisis And Quantitative Easing: Can Broad Money Tell Us Anything?,"
University of Manchester, vol. 80, pages 54-76, September.
- David Cobham & Yue Kang, 2012. "Financial crisis and quantitative easing: can broad money tell us anything?," Heriot-Watt University Economics Discussion Papers 1206, Department of Economics, School of Management and Languages, Heriot Watt University.
- Cobham, David & Kang, Yue, 2012. "Financial crisis and quantitative easing: can broad money tell us anything?," SIRE Discussion Papers 2012-55, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Joyce, Michael & Spaltro, Marco, 2014. "Quantitative easing and bank lending: a panel data approach," Bank of England working papers 504, Bank of England.
- Shekhar Aiyar & Romain A Duval & Damien Puy & Yiqun Wu & Longmei Zhang, 2013. "Growth Slowdowns and the Middle-Income Trap," IMF Working Papers 13/71, International Monetary Fund.
- Ralph Haas & Iman Lelyveld, 2014.
"Multinational Banks and the Global Financial Crisis: Weathering the Perfect Storm?,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 46(s1), pages 333-364, February.
- Ralph de Haas & Iman van Lelyveld, 2011. "Multinational Banks and the Global Financial Crisis. Weathering the Perfect Storm?," DNB Working Papers 322, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Shekhar Aiyar & Sonali Jain-Chandra, 2012. "The Domestic Credit Supply Response to International Bank Deleveraging; Is Asia Different?," IMF Working Papers 12/258, International Monetary Fund.
- Enders, Zeno & Peter, Alexandra, 2015.
"Global Banking, Trade, and the International Transmission of the Great Recession,"
Annual Conference 2015 (Muenster): Economic Development - Theory and Policy
113022, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Alexandra Born & Zeno Enders, 2018. "Global Banking, Trade, and the International Transmission of the Great Recession," CESifo Working Paper Series 6912, CESifo Group Munich.
- Al-Saffar, Yaser & Ridinger, Wolfgang & Whitaker, Simon, 2015. "Financial Stability Paper No 24: The role of external balance sheets in the financial crisis," Bank of England Financial Stability Papers 24, Bank of England.
- Shekhar Aiyar, 2012. "From Financial Crisis to Great Recession: The Role of Globalized Banks," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 102(3), pages 225-230, May.
- Nicolas Arregui & Jaromir Benes & Ivo Krznar & Srobona Mitra & Andre O Santos, 2013. "Evaluating the Net Benefits of Macroprudential Policy; A Cookbook," IMF Working Papers 13/167, International Monetary Fund.
- Hoggarth, Glenn & Hooley, John & Korniyenko, Yevgeniya, 2013. "Financial Stability Paper No 22: Which way do foreign branches sway? Evidence from the recent UK domestic credit cycle," Bank of England Financial Stability Papers 22, Bank of England.
- Lorenzo Sasso, 2016. "Bank Capital Structure and Financial Innovation: Antagonists or Two Sides of the Same Coin?," HSE Working papers WP BRP 66/LAW/2016, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- Scopelliti, Alessandro Diego, 2013. "Off-balance sheet credit exposure and asset securitisation: what impact on bank credit supply?," MPRA Paper 43890, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Düwel, Cornelia, 2013. "Repo funding and internal capital markets in the financial crisis," Discussion Papers 16/2013, Deutsche Bundesbank.
- Samira Hellou, 2018. "Term structure of bank flows to emerging countries: what effects of short- vs. long-term regulatory arbitrage are?," EconomiX Working Papers 2018-23, University of Paris Nanterre, EconomiX.
- Berrospide, Jose M. & Herrerias, Renata, 2015. "Finance companies in Mexico: Unexpected victims of the global liquidity crunch," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 18(C), pages 33-54.
- Shekhar Aiyar & Charles W. Calomiris & Tomasz Wieladek, 2015. "How to Strengthen the Regulation of Bank Capital: Theory, Evidence, and A Proposal," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 27(1), pages 27-36, March.
More about this item
KeywordsLiquidity shock; transmission mechanism; bank lending; instrumental variables.;
- E30 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- E50 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - General
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
- G20 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - General
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-04-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2011-04-30 (Banking)
- NEP-CBA-2011-04-30 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2011-04-30 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2011-04-30 (Monetary Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:boe:boeewp:0424. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Digital Media Team). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/boegvuk.html .