Tailwinds and headwinds: how does growth in the BRICs affect inflation in the G7?
In this paper, we analyse the impact of a persistent productivity increase in a set of countries – which we think of as the BRIC economies – on inflation in their trading partners, the G7. In particular we want to understand conditions under which this shock can lead to tailwinds or headwinds in the economies of trading partners. We build a three-country DSGE model in which there are two oil-importing countries (home and foreign) and one oil-exporting country. We perform several experiments where we try to disentangle the importance of different factors that can shape inflation dynamics in the home country when the foreign country is hit by a persistent productivity shock. These factors are wage stickiness, the role of the oil sector and its share in both consumption and production, foreign monetary policy and the degree of completeness of financial markets. We find that the tailwinds effect, lowering inflation in the home economy, dominates the headwinds effect as long as there is scope for borrowing and lending across countries and the foreign country’s production is not too oil intensive.
|Date of creation:||15 Apr 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (0)171 601 4030
Fax: +44 (0)171 601 5196
Web page: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher Knittel & Daniel Sperling, 2006.
"Evidence of a Shift in the Short-Run Price Elasticity of Gasoline Demand,"
625, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Jonathan E. Hughes & Christopher R. Knittel & Daniel Sperling, 2008. "Evidence of a Shift in the Short-Run Price Elasticity of Gasoline Demand," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 29(1), pages 113-134.
- Jonathan E. Hughes & Christopher R. Knittel & Daniel Sperling, 2006. "Evidence of a Shift in the Short-Run Price Elasticity of Gasoline Demand," NBER Working Papers 12530, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lutz Kilian, 2009.
"Not All Oil Price Shocks Are Alike: Disentangling Demand and Supply Shocks in the Crude Oil Market,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 99(3), pages 1053-69, June.
- Kilian, Lutz, 2006. "Not All Oil Price Shocks Are Alike: Disentangling Demand and Supply Shocks in the Crude Oil Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 5994, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pierpaolo Benigno, 2009.
"Price Stability with Imperfect Financial Integration,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(s1), pages 121-149, 02.
- Pierpaolo Benigno, 2008. "Price stability with imperfect financial integration," Proceedings, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Benigno, Pierpaolo, 2001. "Price Stability with Imperfect Financial Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 2854, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Argia M. Sbordone, 2008.
"Globalization and inflation dynamics: the impact of increased competition,"
324, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Argia M. Sbordone, 2007. "Globalization and Inflation Dynamics: The Impact of Increased Competition," NBER Chapters, in: International Dimensions of Monetary Policy, pages 547-579 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Argia M. Sbordone, 2007. "Globalization and Inflation Dynamics: the Impact of Increased Competition," NBER Working Papers 13556, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alessia Campolmi, 2009. "Oil price shocks: Demand vs Supply in a two-country," 2009 Meeting Papers 877, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Deren Unalmis & Ibrahim Unalmis & Derya Filiz Unsal, 2008.
"Oil Price Shocks, Macroeconomic Stability and Welfare in a Small Open Economy,"
0802, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Deren Unalmis & Ibrahim Unalmis & Derya Filiz Unsal, 2008. "Oil Price Shocks, Macroeconomics Stability and Welfare in a Small Open Economy," Discussion Papers 08/13, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Luca Guerrieri & Christopher Erceg & Martin Bodenstein, 2008.
"Oil Shocks and External Adjustment,"
2008 Meeting Papers
945, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Benigno, Gianluca & Benigno, Pierpaolo & Ghironi, Fabio, 2007.
"Interest rate rules for fixed exchange rate regimes,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 2196-2211, July.
- Gianluca Benigno & Pierpaolo Benigno & Fabio Ghironi, 2000. "Interest Rate Rules for Fixed Exchange Rate Regimes," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 468, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 13 Oct 2003.
- Gianluca Benigno & Pierpaolo Benigno, 2003.
"Price Stability in Open Economies,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 70(4), pages 743-764.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:boe:boeewp:0420. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publications Team)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.