On the Role of International Benchmarking of Electricity Transmission System Operators facing significant investment requirements
Electricity networks currently face massive investment requirements. This paper argues that, given the investment requirements, (international) benchmarking is not an adequate tool for the regulation of transmission system operators (TSO). Errors in the outcomes of benchmarking will likely distort network investment and therefore the costs of doing it wrong are high. The paper discusses options to reduce the weight of benchmarking in TSO regulation and options that do not rely on benchmarking at all. Overall, facing massive investment requirements, it seems desirable to switch to a regulatory system with ex-ante investment approval and away from ex-post benchmarking.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Competition and Regulation in Network Industries, 13(1), 2011, 2-23|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://b-e-r.user.jacobs-university.de/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- R. Meyer, 2011. "Benchmarking Economies of Vertical Integration in U.S. Electricity Supply: An Application of DEA," Competition and Regulation in Network Industries, Intersentia, vol. 12(4), pages 299-321, December.
- M. Mulder, 2012. "Financeability of Investments and Allocation of Costs: an Assessment of the Incentive Regulation of the Dutch High-Voltage Network," Competition and Regulation in Network Industries, Intersentia, vol. 13(2), pages 160-187, June.
- Haney, A.B. & Pollitt, M.G., 2012. "International benchmarking of Electricity Transmission by Regulators: Theory and Practice," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1254, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- AGRELL, Per & BOGETOFT, Peter, 2013. "Benchmarking and regulation," CORE Discussion Papers 2013008, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Dieter Helm, 2009. "Infrastructure investment, the cost of capital, and regulation: an assessment," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 25(3), pages 307-326, Autumn.
- Joskow, P.L., 1989. "Regulatory Failure, Regulatory Reform And Structural Change In The Electric Power Industry," Working papers 516, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- repec:sen:journl:v:13:y:2012:i:2:p:160-187 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jamasb, T. & Pollitt, M., 2000. "Benchmarking and regulation: international electricity experience," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 107-130, September.
- Mae Baker, 1998. "Fund managers' attitudes to risk and time horizons: the effect of performance benchmarking," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(3), pages 257-278.
- Andrei Shleifer, 1985. "A Theory of Yardstick Competition," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(3), pages 319-327, Autumn.
- Grout, Paul A. & Zalewska, Anna, 2006. "The impact of regulation on market risk," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 149-184, April.
- JÃ¶rg Borrmann & Gert Brunekreeft, 2011. "The Effect of Monopoly Regulation on the Timing of Investment," Bremen Energy Working Papers 0009, Bremen Energy Research.
- Graham, John R. & Harvey, Campbell R., 2001. "The theory and practice of corporate finance: evidence from the field," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2-3), pages 187-243, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bei:00bewp:0012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roland Meyer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.