Quality differentials in Italian Universities' freshmen: the case of Medical and Dental Surgery schools
The paper compares the quality of Italian Medical schoolsï¿½ freshmen on the basis of the scores obtained in the locally conducted entry exams which are using a common national test frame. The test is quite selective (partly because of the reduced size of the intake yearly allowed): winners are people on average better than the average graduates of their own secondary schools and 15% of them have already had some college education in other fields. Among Universities there appear to be sizable and stable over time differences in the average quality of freshmen; while students from the South have on average worse results in the tests, those of them moving to Northern Universities contribute to the higher average quality of these Universitiesï¿½ freshmen. Comparing, for Dental Surgery schools which have used both, local tests and a national test (the position in the national test governing the priority in the choice of the school where to enroll), it seems that the latter amplifies (shrinks) the difference between (within each of the several) Universities in the freshmenï¿½s composition.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via Nazionale, 91 - 00184 Roma|
Web page: http://www.bancaditalia.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roth, Alvin & Niederle, Muriel, 2005.
"The Gastroenterology Fellowship Market: Should There Be A Match?,"
2562766, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Muriel Niederle & Alvin E. Roth, 2005. "The Gastroenterology Fellowship Market: Should There Be a Match?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(2), pages 372-375, May.
- Muriel Niederle & Alvin E. Roth, 2009.
"The Effects of a Centralized Clearinghouse on Job Placement, Wages, and Hiring Practices,"
in: Studies of Labor Market Intermediation, pages 235-271
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Muriel Niederle & Alvin E. Roth, 2007. "The Effects of a Centralized Clearinghouse on Job Placement, Wages, and Hiring Practices," NBER Working Papers 13529, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Koning, Pierre & van der Wiel, Karen, 2010.
"Ranking the Schools: How Quality Information Affects School Choice in the Netherlands,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4984, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pierre Koning & Karen van der Wiel, 2010. "Ranking the schools: How quality information affects school choice in the Netherlands," CPB Discussion Paper 150, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Roland G. Fryer, Jr & Steven D. Levitt, 2009.
"An Empirical Analysis of the Gender Gap in Mathematics,"
NBER Working Papers
15430, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roland G. Fryer & Steven D. Levitt, 2010. "An Empirical Analysis of the Gender Gap in Mathematics," American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, American Economic Association, vol. 2(2), pages 210-40, April.
- McKinney, C. Nicholas & Niederle, Muriel & Roth, Alvin, 2005.
"The collapse of a medical labor clearinghouse (and why such failures are rare),"
2570404, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- C. Nicholas McKinney & Muriel Niederle & Alvin E. Roth, 2005. "The Collapse of a Medical Labor Clearinghouse (and Why Such Failures Are Rare)," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(3), pages 878-889, June.
- Montgomery, Mark, 2002. "A nested logit model of the choice of a graduate business school," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 471-480, October.
- Piero Cipollone & Pasqualino Montanaro & Paolo Sestito, 2010.
"Value-Added Measures in Italian High Schools: Problems and Findings,"
Giornale degli Economisti,
GDE (Giornale degli Economisti e Annali di Economia), Bocconi University, vol. 69(2), pages 81-114, July.
- Piero Cipollone & Pasqualino Montanaro & Paolo Sestito, 2010. "Value-added measures in Italian high schools: problems and findings," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 754, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Muriel Niederle & Alvin E. Roth, 2003.
"Unraveling Reduces Mobility in a Labor Market: Gastroenterology with and without a Centralized Match,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(6), pages 1342-1352, December.
- Muriel Niederle & Alvin E Roth, 2003. "Unraveling Reduces Mobility in a Labor Market: Gastroenterology with and without a Centralized Match," Levine's Working Paper Archive 506439000000000428, David K. Levine.
- Terry Long, B.Bridget, 2004. "How have college decisions changed over time? An application of the conditional logistic choice model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 121(1-2), pages 271-296.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bdi:opques:qef_90_11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.