Efficient Kidney Exchange: Coincidence of Wants in a Markets with Compatibility-Based Preferences
Patients needing kidney transplants may have donors who cannot donate to them because of blood or tissue incompatibility. Incompatible patient-donor pairs can exchange donor kidneys with other pairs only when there is a â€œdouble coincidence of wants.â€ Developing infrastructure to perform three-way as well as two-way exchanges will have a substantial effect on the number of transplants that can be arranged. Larger than three-way exchanges have less impact on efficiency. In a general model of type-compatible exchanges, the size of the largest exchanges required to achieve efficiency equals the number of types.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in American Economic Review|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Littauer Center, Cambridge, MA 02138|
Web page: http://www.economics.harvard.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeremy Bulow & Jonathan Levin, 2006.
"Matching and Price Competition,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 96(3), pages 652-668, June.
- Bulow, Jeremy I. & Levin, Jonathan, 2003. "Matching and Price Competition," Research Papers 1818, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Jeremy Bulow & Jonathan Levin, 2005. "Matching and Price Competition," NBER Working Papers 11506, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan Levin & Jeremy Bulow, 2004. "Matching and Price Competition," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 350, Econometric Society.
- Ernan Haruvy & Alvin E. Roth & M. Utku Unver, 2004.
"The Dynamics of Law Clerk Matching: An Experimental and Computational Investigation of Proposals for Reform of the Market,"
- Haruvy, Ernan & Roth, Alvin E. & Unver, M. Utku, 2006. "The dynamics of law clerk matching: An experimental and computational investigation of proposals for reform of the market," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 457-486, March.
- repec:hrv:faseco:2580565 is not listed on IDEAS
- Atila Abdulkadiroğlu & Parag A. Pathak & Alvin E. Roth & Tayfun S�nmez, 2005.
"The Boston Public School Match,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 95(2), pages 368-371, May.
- Pathak, Parag A. & Abdulkadiroglu, Atila & Roth, Alvin, 2005.
"The New York City High School Match,"
2562765, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Atila Abdulkadiroglu & Tayfun Sönmez, 2003. "School Choice: A Mechanism Design Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(3), pages 729-747, June.
- Alvin E. Roth & Tayfun Sonmez & M. Utku Unver, 2003.
NBER Working Papers
10002, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Saidman, Susan L. & Roth, Alvin E. & Sonmez, Tayfun & Unver, M. Utku & Delmonico, Francis L., 2014. "Increasing the Opportunity of Live Kidney Donation by Matching for Two and Three Way Exchanges," MPRA Paper 58247, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hrv:faseco:2562809. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ben Steinberg)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.