Eurosystem communication and financial market expectations
This paper studies the impact of Eurosystem Governing Council communication on financial markets? interest rate expectations based on evidence from bond markets, futures markets and options markets. First, we find that the level, the dispersion and the asymmetry of interest rate expectations are affected on Council meeting days. However, such effects may be relatively short-lived. Moreover, we find that interest rate expectations tend to become less volatile during the black out period. Second, monetary policy meetings tend to affect interest rate expectations much more strongly than data releases. Third, whereas the impact of monetary policy decisions seems to be particularly concentrated and strong around horizons of 2 years, the effect of euro area data releases on rate expectations seem to unfold in a more evenly distributed manner at longer horizons as well. Fourth, keywords may foster the (very) short-run predictability of the Eurosystem monetary policy. However, keywords do not seem to have a systematic impact on interest rate expectations over longer horizons.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ehrmann, Michael & Fratzscher, Marcel, 2005. "How should central banks communicate?," Working Paper Series 0557, European Central Bank.
- Jackwerth, Jens Carsten, 1999. "Option Implied Risk-Neutral Distributions and Implied Binomial Trees: A Literature Review," MPRA Paper 11634, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Refet S. Gürkaynak & Brian Sack & Jonathan H. Wright, 2006.
"The U.S. Treasury yield curve: 1961 to the present,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2006-28, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Gurkaynak, Refet S. & Sack, Brian & Wright, Jonathan H., 2007. "The U.S. Treasury yield curve: 1961 to the present," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(8), pages 2291-2304, November.
- Claus Brand & Daniel Buncic & Jarkko Turunen, 2008.
"The Impact of ECB Monetary Policy Decisions and Communication on the Yield Curve,"
2008-11, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Claus Brand & Daniel Buncic & Jarkko Turunen, 2010. "The Impact of ECB Monetary Policy Decisions and Communication on the Yield Curve," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 8(6), pages 1266-1298, December.
- Brand, Claus & Buncic, Daniel & Turunen, Jarkko, 2006. "The impact of ECB monetary policy decisions and communication on the yield curve," Working Paper Series 0657, European Central Bank.
- Woodford, Michael, 1999.
"Optimal monetary policy inertia,"
CFS Working Paper Series
1999/09, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Michael Woodford, 1999. "Optimal Monetary Policy Inertia," NBER Working Papers 7261, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Woodford, M., 1999. "Optimal Monetary Policy Inertia.," Papers 666, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Woodford, Michael, 2000. "Optimal Monetary Policy Inertia," Seminar Papers 666, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Bolder, David & Streliski, David, 1999. "Yield Curve Modelling at the Bank of Canada," Technical Reports 84, Bank of Canada.
- Svensson, L.E.O., 1994.
"Estimating and Interpreting Foreward Interest Rates: Sweden 1992-1994,"
579, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Lars E. O. Svensson, 1994. "Estimating and Interpreting Forward Interest Rates; Sweden 1992-1994," IMF Working Papers 94/114, International Monetary Fund.
- Lars E.O. Svensson, 1994. "Estimating and Interpreting Forward Interest Rates: Sweden 1992 - 1994," NBER Working Papers 4871, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Orazio P. Attanasio & Lucio Picci & Antonello E. Scorcu, 2000. "Saving, Growth, and Investment: A Macroeconomic Analysis Using a Panel of Countries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(2), pages 182-211, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bcl:bclwop:bclwp030. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.