LVTS, the Overnight Market, and Monetary Policy
Operational events in the Large Value Transfer System (LVTS) almost always result in a disturbance of the regular flow of payments. The author explores the link between payment flows and the overnight interest rate. She also explores the way that payments system frictions affect the overnight interest rate. Payments system frictions arise because LVTS participants lack full information on their own payment flows and those of others. This uncertainty diminishes as the final end-of-day settlement nears. By borrowing earlier in the day in the overnight market, however, participants can insure against being short at the final end-of-day settlement. The author first develops a general framework describing the role that payment flows and payments system frictions have on the overnight rate and then empirically tests the implications of this model. She finds that LVTS payment flows are an important determinant of pressure on the overnight interest rate.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 613 782-8845
Fax: 613 782-8874
Web page: http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hamilton, James D, 1996. "The Daily Market for Federal Funds," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(1), pages 26-56, February.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990.
"Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
943, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1993. "Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 821-56, July.
- Furfine, Craig H., 2000. "Interbank payments and the daily federal funds rate," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 535-553, October.
- Donna Howard, 1998. "A primer on the implementation of monetary policy in the LVTS environment," Bank of Canada Review, Bank of Canada, vol. 1998(Autumn), pages 57-66.
- Moschitz, Julius, 2004. "The determinants of the overnight interest rate in the euro area," Working Paper Series 0393, European Central Bank.
- Ho, Thomas S Y & Saunders, Anthony, 1985. " A Micro Model of the Federal Funds Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(3), pages 977-88, July.
- Kevin Clinton, 1997. "Implementation of Monetary Policy in a Regime with Zero Reserve Requirements," Working Papers 97-8, Bank of Canada.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bca:bocawp:06-15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.