Examining Volatility of Interbank Rate in Nepal
This paper attempts to examine volatility pattern of interbank rate of Nepal using daily and monthly data. The empirical results show significant variation in volatility during the period of study. It depicts the clustering of large and small variances of interbank rate. Moreover, as the sum of ARCH and GARCH coefficients are greater than unity in the daily interbank rate, shocks are highly persistent in the interbank market. However, the SLF of NRB has been observed to lower the persistence of shocks, as the sum of ARCH and GARCH coefficients decreases when effect of SLF and repo are introduced in the model. It depicts that SLF and repo of NRB has been effective to lower the persistence of shocks on daily interbank market, but it increased the mean of conditional volatility. The other important finding of the study is that mean conditional volatility is highest in February and lowest in August.
Volume (Year): 23 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.nrb.org.np/ecorev/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hamilton, James D, 1996. "The Daily Market for Federal Funds," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(1), pages 26-56, February.
- Judit Antal & Gyula Barabás & Tamás Czeti & Klára Major, 2001. "Liquidity management operations at the National Bank of Hungary," MNB Occasional Papers 2001/9, Magyar Nemzeti Bank (Central Bank of Hungary).
- Nephil Matangi Maskay Ph.D. & Rajendra Pandit, 2010.
"Interest Rate Pass-Through in Nepal,"
NRB Economic Review,
Nepal Rastra Bank, Research Department, vol. 22, pages 1-18, April.
- Bartolini, Leonardo & Bertola, Giuseppe & Prati, Alessandro, 2002.
"The Overnight Interbank Market: Evidence from the G7 and the Euro Zone,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3090, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Prati, Alessandro & Bartolini, Leonardo & Bertola, Giuseppe, 2003. "The overnight interbank market: Evidence from the G-7 and the Euro zone," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(10), pages 2045-2083, October.
- Alessandro Prati & Leonardo Bartolini & Giuseppe Bertola, 2001. "The overnight interbank market: evidence from the G-7 and the Euro zone," Staff Reports 135, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nrb:journl:v:23:y:2011:i:1:p:37-53. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr. Bishnu Prasad Gautam)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.