The origins of Made in Spain fashion. The competitive advantage of the textile, apparel and footwear districts since the Golden Age
This paper explores the sources of competitive advantage of the Spanish export industrial districts that specialised in textile, apparel and footwear products. It shows that most of the nowadays outstanding Spanish firms in fashion-related international markets emerged from 1980s districts. Using a new database, the paper concludes that by then there were as many neo-Marshallian exporting districts dominated by small firms as hub-firm districts coordinated by medium-large companies. This probably allowed the latter to combine the advantages derived from Marshallian external economies (i.e. non-codified knowledge, subsidiary industries and specialized labour force) with those connected to leading firms organizational capabilities.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ere.ub.es
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alfred D. Chandler, 1992. "Organizational Capabilities and the Economic History of the Industrial Enterprise," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(3), pages 79-100, Summer.
- Alberto Rinaldi, 2005.
"The Emilian Model Revisited: Twenty Years After,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(2), pages 244-266.
- Valery S. Katkalo & Christos N. Pitelis & David J. Teece, 2010. "Introduction: On the nature and scope of dynamic capabilities," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(4), pages 1175-1186, August.
- Puig, Núria, 2005. "Alfred D. Chandler Jr Shaping the Industrial Century. The Remarkable Story of the Evolution of the Modern Chemical and Pharmaceutical Industries. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 2005. Pp. ," Revista de Historia Económica, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(02), pages 434-439, September.
- Vittorio Galletto & Rafael Boix, 2008. "Marshallian Industrial Districts in Spain," SCIENZE REGIONALI, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2008(3), pages 29-52.
- Giuseppe Tattara & Paolo Crestanello, 2009. "A Global Network and its Local Ties. Restructuring of the Benetton Group," Working Papers 2009_11, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Cimoli, Mario & Dosi, Giovanni & Stiglitz, Joseph E. (ed.), 2009. "Industrial Policy and Development: The Political Economy of Capabilities Accumulation," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199235278, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bar:bedcje:2011265. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Espai de Recerca en Economia)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.