On the density distribution across space: a probabilistic approach
This paper aims at providing a Bayesian parametric framework to tackle the accessibility problem across space in urban theory. Adopting continuous variables in a probabilistic setting we are able to associate with the distribution density to the Kendall's tau index and replicate the general issues related to the role of proximity in a more general context. In addition, by referring to the Beta and Gamma distribution, we are able to introduce a differentiation feature in each spatial unit without incurring in any a-priori definition of territorial units. We are also providing an empirical application of our theoretical setting to study the density distribution of the population across Massachusetts.
|Date of creation:||22 Jul 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 08193, Bellaterra, Barcelona|
Phone: 34 93 592 1203
Fax: +34 93 542-1223
Web page: http://pareto.uab.cat
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Duangkamon Chotikapanich & D. S. Prasada Rao & Kam Ki Tang, 2007.
"Estimating Income Inequality In China Using Grouped Data And The Generalized Beta Distribution,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 53(1), pages 127-147, March.
- Chotikapanich, Duangkamon & Prasada Rao, D.S. & Tang, KamKi, 2006. "Estimating Income Inequality in China Using Grouped Data and the Generalized Beta Distribution," WIDER Working Paper Series 134, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Shunfeng Song, 1996. "Some Tests of Alternative Accessibility Measures: A Population Density Approach," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 72(4), pages 474-482.
- Rodney Ramcharan, 2009. "Why an economic core: domestic transport costs," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(4), pages 559-581, July.
- McDonald, James B. & Xu, Yexiao J., 1995. "A generalization of the beta distribution with applications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 133-152.
- McDonald, James B. & Xu, Yexiao J., 1995. "A generalization of the beta distribution with applications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 427-428, October.
- Alperovich Gershon & Deutsch Joseph, 1994. "Joint Estimation of Population Density Functions and the Location of the Central Business District," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 239-248, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aub:autbar:776.09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Xavier Vila)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.