Endogenous Integration and Welfare in Complementary Goods Markets
This paper analyzes the strategic decision to integrate by firms that produce complementary products. Integration entails bundling pricing. We find out that integration is privately profitable for a high enough degree of product differentiation, that profits of the non-integrated firms decrease, and that consumer surplus need not necessarily increase when firms integrate despite the fact that prices diminish. Thus, integration of a system is welfare-improving for a high enough degree of product differentiation combined with a minimum demand advantage relative to the competing system. Overall, and from a number of extensions undertaken, we conclude that bundling need not be anti-competitive and that integration should be permitted only under some circumstances.
|Date of creation:||01 Feb 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 08193, Bellaterra, Barcelona|
Phone: 34 93 592 1203
Fax: +34 93 542-1223
Web page: http://pareto.uab.cat
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey Church & Neil Gandal, 2000.
"Systems Competition, Vertical Merger, and Foreclosure,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 25-51, 03.
- Church, J. & Gandal, N., 1996. "Systems Competition, Vertical Merger and Foreclosure," Papers 6-96, Tel Aviv - the Sackler Institute of Economic Studies.
- Motta,Massimo, 2004. "Competition Policy," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521016919, Diciembre.
- Motta,Massimo, 2004. "Competition Policy," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521816632, Diciembre.
- Gabszewicz, Jean & Sonnac, Nathalie & Wauthy, Xavier, 2001. "On price competition with complementary goods," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 70(3), pages 431-437, March.
- GABZEWICZ, Jean & SONNAC, Nathalie & WAUTHY, Xavier, "undated". "On price competition with complementary goods," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1505, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jean Gabszewicz & Nathalie Sonnac & Xavier Wauthy, 2000. "On Price Competition with Complementary Goods," Working Papers 2000-24, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Economides, Nicholas & Salop, Steven C, 1992. "Competition and Integration among Complements, and Network Market Structure," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(1), pages 105-123, March.
- Christopher Garmon, 2004. "Complements Integration and Foreclosure: The Case of Joint Consumption," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 70(4), pages 893-904, April.
- Morton I. Kamien & Israel Zang, 1990. "The Limits of Monopolization Through Acquisition," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 105(2), pages 465-499.
- Matutes, Carmen & Regibeau, Pierre, 1992. "Compatibility and Bundling of Complementary Goods in a Duopoly," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(1), pages 37-54, March.
- Gaudet, Gerard & Salant, Stephen W., 1992. "Mergers of producers of perfect complements competing in price," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 359-364, July.
- Stephen W. Salant & Sheldon Switzer & Robert J. Reynolds, 1983. "Losses From Horizontal Merger: The Effects of an Exogenous Change in Industry Structure on Cournot-Nash Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 98(2), pages 185-199.
- Liao, Chun-Hsiung & Tauman, Yair, 2002. "The role of bundling in price competition," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 365-389, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aub:autbar:658.06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Xavier Vila)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.