The multiplicity of goals in tree-cultivating farms in Greece
The aim of this study is the elicitation of farmers’ goals through a multi-criteria weighted programming model. This is pursued in the area of Ancient Epidaurus (Peloponnesus), where farming systems comprise various combinations of tree crops, such as olive-, orange- and mandarin- groves. The analysis is carried out at the level of four representative farms, whose members have a multiplicity of on- and off- farm employment opportunities. Research findings indicate that farms with tree crops aim at the achievement of multiple goals. Both components of the composite entity family farm/farm household are represented at the decision-making process, by means of including manifold objectives. Minimization of variable expenses and attainment of a living standardareprioritized as the most important ones. The identification of sets of hierarchical goals for different types of farms/households goes beyond the conventional-simplistic hypothesis of profit maximization in all different farm entities, pointing towards a satisficing behavior.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.aoa.aua.gr|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simon, Herbert A, 1979.
"Rational Decision Making in Business Organizations,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 69(4), pages 493-513, September.
- Simon, Herbert A., 1978. "Rational Decision-Making in Business Organizations," Nobel Prize in Economics documents 1978-1, Nobel Prize Committee.
- J. Brassier & E. Chia & E. Marshall & M. Petit, 1991. "Gestion de l'exploitation agricole familiale et pratiques des agriculteurs: Vers une nouvelle théorie de la gestion," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 39(2), pages 119-135, 07.
- D. Latinopoulos, 2008. "Estimating the Potential Impacts of Irrigation Water Pricing Using Multicriteria Decision Making Modelling. An Application to Northern Greece," Water Resources Management: An International Journal, Published for the European Water Resources Association (EWRA), Springer;European Water Resources Association (EWRA), vol. 22(12), pages 1761-1782, December.
- Berbel, J. & Rodriguez-Ocana, A., 1998. "An MCDM approach to production analysis: An application to irrigated farms in Southern Spain," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 107(1), pages 108-118, May.
- Arriaza, M. & Gomez-Limon, J. A., 2003. "Comparative performance of selected mathematical programming models," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 155-171, August.
- Gomez-Limon, Jose A. & Arriaza, Manuel & Riesgo, Laura, 2003. "An MCDM analysis of agricultural risk aversion," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 151(3), pages 569-585, December.
- Oliver Musshoff & Norbert Hirschauer, 2011. "A behavioral economic analysis of bounded rationality in farm financing decisions: First empirical evidence," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 71(1), pages 62-83, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aua:wpaper:2013-2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kremmydas dimitrios)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.