Technological performance of Belgium: Is it really so bad?
Some measures of technological performance indicate that a number of mainly small open EU economies have performed rather well in the 1990s, compared to the US, especially when considering exports in high-tech products. Whereas the strong performance of the Nordic EU countries will not come as a surprise, the strong growth in high-tech export shares of Belgium seems in contrast with some gloomy reports on its technological competitiveness. Market reforms and macroeconomic policies, though undoubtedly necessary to shield the European Social model from increasing global competition and the ageing of the population, may not have to be as sweeping as some suggest.
|Date of creation:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Prinsstraat 13, B-2000 Antwerpen|
Web page: https://www.uantwerp.be/en/faculties/applied-economic-sciences/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sapir, Andre & Aghion, Philippe & Bertola, Giuseppe & Hellwig, Martin & Pisani-Ferry, Jean & Rosati, Dariusz & Vinals, Jose & Wallace, Helen, 2004.
"An Agenda for a Growing Europe: The Sapir Report,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199271498.
- André Sapir & Philippe Aghion & Giuseppe Bertola & Martin Hellwig & Jean Pisani-Ferry & Bernard Lange & José Viñals & Helen Wallace & Marco Buti & Mario Nava & Peter Smith, 2004. "An agenda for a growing Europe: the Sapir report," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8070, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Christoph Meister & Bart Verspagen & Guntram B. Wolff, 2006. "European Productivity Gaps: Is R&D the Solution?," Chapters,in: Competitiveness and Growth in Europe, chapter 8 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Meister, C. & Verspagen, B., 2004. "European Productivity Gaps: Is R&D the solution?," Working Papers 04.03, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies.
- Christoph Meister & Bart Verspagen, 2005. "European Productivity Gaps Is R&D the Solution?," DRUID Working Papers 05-06, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Meister,Christoph & Verspagen,Bart, 2004. "European productivity gaps: Is R&D the solution?," Research Memorandum 005, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ant:wpaper:2006024. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joeri Nys)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.