Europe's growth emergency
The European Union growth agenda has become even more pressing because growth is needed to support public and private sector deleveraging, reduce the fragility of the banking sector, counter the falling behind of southern European countries and prove that Europe is still a worthwhile place to invest.The crisis has a similar impact on most European countries and the US - a persistent drop in output level and a growth slowdown. This contrasts sharply with the experience of the emerging countries of Asia and Latin America.Productivity improvement was immediate in the US, but Europe hoarded labour and productivity improvements were in general delayed. Southern European countries have hardly adjusted so far. There is a negative feedback loop between the crisis and growth, and without effective solutions to overturn the crisis, growth is unlikely to resume. National and EU level policies should aim to foster reforms and adjustment and should not risk medium term objectives under the pressure of events. A more hands-on approach, including industrial policies, should be considered.Earlier versions of this Policy Contribution were presented at the Bruegel-PIIE conference on Transatlantic economic challenges in an era of growing multipolarity, Berlin, 27 September 2011, and at the BEPA-Polish Presidency conference on Sources of growth in Europe, Brussels, 6 October 2011.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Rue de la Charité, B-1210 Brussels|
Phone: +32 2 227 4210
Web page: http://www.bruegel.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2011.
"A Decade of Debt,"
Peterson Institute Press: All Books,
Peterson Institute for International Economics, number 6222, January.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2014. "A Decade of Debt," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Miguel Fuentes D. & Claudio E. Raddatz & Carmen M. Reinhart (ed.), Capital Mobility and Monetary Policy, edition 1, volume 18, chapter 4, pages 97-135 Central Bank of Chile.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & M. Belen Sbrancia, 2011.
"The Liquidation of Government Debt,"
BIS Working Papers
363, Bank for International Settlements.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & M. Belen Sbrancia, 2011. "The Liquidation of Government Debt," NBER Working Papers 16893, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carmen M. & M. Belen Sbrancia, 2011. "The Liquidation of Government Debt," Working Paper Series WP11-10, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Carmen Reinhart & M. Belen Sbrancia, 2015. "The Liquidation of Government Debt," IMF Working Papers 15/7, International Monetary Fund.
- Jean Pisani-Ferry & Pavle Petrovic & Michael A Landesmann & Vladimir Gligorov & Daniel Daianu & Torbjörn Becker & Zsolt Darvas & André Sapir & Beatrice Weder di Mauro, .
"Whither growth in central and eastern Europe? Policy lessons for an integrated Europe,"
Bruegel, number 453.
- André Sapir & Jean Pisani-Ferry, 2010. "Whither Growth in Central and Eastern Europe ?Policy Lessons for an Integrated Europe," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/174279, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- André Sapir, 2011.
"A Comprehensive Approach to the Euro-Area Debt Crisis,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/174297, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Zsolt Darvas & Jean Pisani-Ferry & Andre Sapir, 2011. "A Comprehensive Approach to the Euro-Area Debt Crisis," IEHAS Discussion Papers 1110, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Zsolt Darvas & Jean Pisani-Ferry & André Sapir, 2011. "A Comprehensive Approach to the Euro-Area Debt Crisis," Working Papers 1101, Department of Mathematical Economics and Economic Analysis, Corvinus University of Budapest.
- André Sapir & Jean Pisani-Ferry & Zsolt Darvas, 2011. "A comprehensive approach to the euro-area debt crisis," Policy Briefs 491, Bruegel.
- Brenke, Karl & Rinne, Ulf & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2011.
"Short-Time Work: The German Answer to the Great Recession,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5780, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Karl BRENKE & Ulf RINNE & Klaus F. ZIMMERMANN, 2013. "Short-time work: The German answer to the Great Recession," International Labour Review, International Labour Organization, vol. 152(2), pages 287-305, 06.
- Brenke, Karl & Rinne, Ulf & Zimmermann, Klaus F, 2011. "Short-Time Work: The German Answer to the Great Recession," CEPR Discussion Papers 8449, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Benedicta Marzinotto, 2011. "A European fund for economic revival in crisis countries," Policy Contributions 504, Bruegel.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kirkegaard, Jacob & Sbrancia, Belen, 2011. "Financial repression redux," MPRA Paper 31641, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- André Sapir & Philippe Aghion & Giuseppe Bertola & Martin Hellwig & Jean Pisani-Ferry & Bernard Lange & José Viñals & Helen Wallace & Marco Buti & Mario Nava & Peter Smith, 2004.
"An agenda for a growing Europe: the Sapir report,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/8070, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Benedicta Marzinotto & Guntram B. Wolff & Mark Hallerberg, 2011. "How effective and legitimate is the European semester? Increasing role of the European parliament," Working Papers 612, Bruegel.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bre:polcon:623. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruegel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.