Conditional Moment Tests for Normality in Bivariate Limited Dependent Variable Models: a Monte Carlo Study
In this paper, we run a Monte Carlo analysis of the finite-sample performance of an Information Matrix Test put forward by Smith (1985) for bivariate censored models. We use the bivariate probit model and Heckman selection model as examples.;Approximating the finite-sample distribution of this test statistic by its asymptotic distribution can lead to very misleading results: its size is severely distorted even in samples that common practice would judge to be perfectly adequate for asymptotics. This is especially true when the correlation coefficient is far from zero.;Power properties of the test statistic are investigated by using bivariate t(6) and x2(1) alternatives. The test has very low power against leptokurtosis, especially in the bivariate probit case, while power against asymmetry appears to be much more satisfactory.;In general, the performance of the Information Matrix test seems to be related to the amount of information on the latent variables which survives the censoring mechanism. A somewhat improved version of the test can be obtained, in some cases, by a careful choice of the moment conditions to employ.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 071 220 7100
Fax: +39 071 220 7102
Web page: http://www.dises.univpm.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gabriel Montes-Rojas, 2011.
"Robust Misspecification Tests for the Heckman's Two-Step Estimator,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(2), pages 154-172.
- Montes-Rojas, G., 2008. "Robust misspecification tests for the Heckman’s two-step estimator," Working Papers 08/01, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Pagan, Adrian & Vella, Frank, 1989. "Diagnostic Tests for Models Based on Individual Data: A Survey," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(S), pages S29-59, Supplemen.
- Murphy, Anthony, 2007.
"Score tests of normality in bivariate probit models,"
Elsevier, vol. 95(3), pages 374-379, June.
- Anthony Murphy, 2005. "Score Tests of Normality in Bivariate Probit Models," Econometrics 0512004, EconWPA.
- Horowitz, Joel L., 1994. "Bootstrap-based critical values for the information matrix test," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 395-411, April.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1993. "Estimation and Inference in Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195060119.
- Gao, Chuanming & Lahiri, Kajal, 2000. "Further consequences of viewing LIML as an iterated Aitken estimator," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 187-202, October.
- Mroz, Thomas A, 1987.
"The Sensitivity of an Empirical Model of Married Women's Hours of Work to Economic and Statistical Assumptions,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(4), pages 765-99, July.
- Thomas Mroz, . "The Sensitivity of an Empirical Model of Married Women's Hours of Work to Economic and Statistical Assumptions," University of Chicago - Population Research Center 84-8, Chicago - Population Research Center.
- Tauchen, George, 1985. "Diagnostic testing and evaluation of maximum likelihood models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 415-443.
- Skeels, Christopher L. & Vella, Francis, 1999. "A Monte Carlo investigation of the sampling behavior of conditional moment tests in Tobit and Probit models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 92(2), pages 275-294, October.
- Robinson, Peter M, 1982. "On the Asymptotic Properties of Estimators of Models Containing Limited Dependent Variables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 27-41, January.
- Hall, Alastair, 1987.
"The Information Matrix Test for the Linear Model,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(2), pages 257-63, April.
- Hall, A.R., 1984. "The Information Matrix Test for the Linear Model," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 250, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Chesher, Andrew & Irish, Margaret, 1987. "Residual analysis in the grouped and censored normal linear model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 33-61.
- Orme, Chris, 1990. "The small-sample performance of the information-matrix test," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 309-331, December.
- Bera, Anil K & Jarque, Carlos M & Lee, Lung-Fei, 1984. "Testing the Normality Assumption in Limited Dependent Variable Models," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 25(3), pages 563-78, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:anc:wpaper:357. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maurizio Mariotti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.