Factors Affecting the Adoption of ICTs Among SMEs: Evidence From an Italian Survey
The adoption of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) among small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) is a phenomenon that has been the object of increasing interest by the academic literature and the policy makers. In this paper, we carry out an econometric analysis of a sample of 168 enterprises located in the Ancona Province (Central Italy). An important result is that, in order to understand the main factor that drive SMEs to the adoption of ICTs, it is useful to divide the available technologies according to a taxonomy based on their typical use. In all cases, however, the availability of highly educated workers turns out to be a key factor. Policy implications are also discussed.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 071 220 7100
Fax: +39 071 220 7102
Web page: http://www.dises.univpm.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Falk, Martin, 2001. "Diffusion of information technology, internet use and the demand of heterogeneous labor," ZEW Discussion Papers 01-48, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Cragg, John G, 1971. "Some Statistical Models for Limited Dependent Variables with Application to the Demand for Durable Goods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(5), pages 829-44, September.
- Sterlacchini, Alessandro, 1999.
"Do innovative activities matter to small firms in non-R&D-intensive industries? An application to export performance,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 819-832, November.
- Alessandro STERLACCHINI, 1998. "Do innovative activities matter to small firms in non-R&D-intensive industries? An application to export performances," Working Papers 109, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Berman, Eli & Bound, John & Griliches, Zvi, 1994. "Changes in the Demand for Skilled Labor within U.S. Manufacturing: Evidence from the Annual Survey of Manufactures," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 109(2), pages 367-97, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:anc:wpaper:155. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maurizio Mariotti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.