Bias correcting adjustment coefficients in a cointegrated VAR with known cointegrating vectors
The maximum likelihood estimator of the adjustment coefficient in a cointegrated vector autoregressive model (CVAR) is generally biased. For the case where the cointegrating vector is known in a first-order CVAR with no intercept, we derive a condition for the unbiasedness of the maximum likelihood estimator of the adjustment coefficients, and provide a simple characterization of the bias in case this condition is violated. A feasible bias correction method is shown to virtually eliminate the bias over a large part of the parameter space.
|Date of creation:||04 Jun 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ase.uva.nl/uva-econometrics
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karim Abadir & Kaddour Hadri & Elias Tzavalis, .
"The Influence of VAR Dimensions on Estimator Biases,"
96/14, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Karim M. Abadir & Kaddour Hadri & Elias Tzavalis, 1999. "The Influence of VAR Dimensions on Estimator Biases," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(1), pages 163-182, January.
- van GARDEREN, Kees Jan, 1997. "Exact geometry of explosive autoregressive models," CORE Discussion Papers 1997068, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jan R. MAGNUS, 1986. "The Exact Moments of a Ratio of Quadratic Forms in Normal Variables," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 4, pages 95-109.
- Magnus, J.R., 1986. "The exact moments of a ratio of quadratic forms in normal variables," Other publications TiSEM c6725407-ac3c-44fd-b6d1-5, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ame:wpaper:1305. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Noud P.A. van Giersbergen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.