Analyzing Financial Integration in East Asia through Fractional Cointegration in Volatilities
Two integrated financial markets are generally subjected to common shocks revealing that commonalities in fundamentals drive the underlying return processes. In such a case, volatilities should share a long-run component although their transitory components might temporary diverge. Accordingly, we investigate financial integration in East Asian by analyzing the co-persistent nature of their integrated volatilities. Using recent fractional cointegration techniques, we find that volatilities of several markets converge in long-run to a common stochastic equilibrium. Our results reveal that a global integration process drives the most developed markets of the region, while no evidence of co-persistence appears between emerging markets.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2013|
|Date of revision:||Sep 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.amse-aixmarseille.fr/en|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gilles De Truchis & Benjamin Keddad, 2012.
"South East Asian Monetary Integration: New Evidences from Fractional Cointegration of Real Exchange Rates,"
- de Truchis, Gilles & Keddad, Benjamin, 2013. "Southeast Asian monetary integration: New evidences from fractional cointegration of real exchange rates," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 394-412.
- Gilles de Truchis & Benjamin Keddad, 2012. "South East Asian Monetary Integration: New Evidences from Fractional Cointegration of Real Exchange Rates," AMSE Working Papers 1229, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France, revised 05 Nov 2012.
- Gilles de Truchis & Benjamin Keddad, 2012. "South East Asian Monetary Integration: New Evidences from Fractional Cointegration of Real Exchange Rates," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp1039, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Chambet, Anthony & Gibson, Rajna, 2008. "Financial integration, economic instability and trade structure in emerging markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 654-675, June.
- John Beirne & Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Marianne Schulze-Ghattas & Nicola Spagnolo, 2009.
"Global and Regional Spillovers in Emerging Stock Markets: A Multivariate GARCH-in-Mean Analysis,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
942, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Beirne, John & Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Schulze-Ghattas, Marianne & Spagnolo, Nicola, 2010. "Global and regional spillovers in emerging stock markets: A multivariate GARCH-in-mean analysis," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 250-260, September.
- John Beirne & Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Marianne Schulze-Ghattas & Nicola Spagnolo, 2009. "Global and Regional Spillovers in Emerging Stock Markets: A Multivariate GARCH-in-mean Analysis," CESifo Working Paper Series 2794, CESifo Group Munich.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F, 1993. "Common Persistence in Conditional Variances," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(1), pages 167-86, January.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey, 1994.
"Time-Varying World Market Integration,"
NBER Working Papers
4843, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nuno Cassola & Claudio Morana, 2007.
"Comovements in Volatility in the Euro Money Market,"
ICER Working Papers
7-2007, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Cassola, Nuno & Morana, Claudio, 2010. "Comovements in volatility in the euro money market," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 525-539, April.
- Cassola, Nuno & Morana, Claudio, 2006. "Comovements in volatility in the euro money market," Working Paper Series 0703, European Central Bank.
- Celso Brunetti & Christopher L. Gilbert, 1999.
"Bivariate FIGARCH and Fractional Cointegration,"
408, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Dao, Chi-Mai & Wolters, Jürgen, 2008. "Common stochastic volatility trends in international stock returns," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 431-445, June.
- Bent Jesper Christensen & Morten Ø. Nielsen, .
"Semiparametric Analysis of Stationary Fractional Cointegration and the Implied-Realized Volatility Relation in High-Frequency Options Data,"
Economics Working Papers
2001-4, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Christensen, Bent Jesper & Nielsen, Morten Orregaard, 2006. "Asymptotic normality of narrow-band least squares in the stationary fractional cointegration model and volatility forecasting," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 343-371, July.
- David W. Berger & Alain P. Chaboud & Erik Hjalmarsson & Edward Howorka, 2006.
"What drives volatility persistence in the foreign exchange market?,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
862, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, David & Chaboud, Alain & Hjalmarsson, Erik, 2009. "What drives volatility persistence in the foreign exchange market?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 94(2), pages 192-213, November.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Ole Mikkelsen, Hans, 1996.
"Modeling and pricing long memory in stock market volatility,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 73(1), pages 151-184, July.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Bollerslev-Mikkelson(1996) FIEGARCH models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00173, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold & Paul Labys, 2001.
"Modeling and Forecasting Realized Volatility,"
NBER Working Papers
8160, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anderson, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim & Diebold, Francis X. & Labys, Paul, 2002. "Modeling and Forecasting Realized Volatility," Working Papers 02-12, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Francis X. Diebold & Paul Labys, 2001. "Modeling and Forecasting Realized Volatility," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 01-01, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Afonso Gonçalves da Silva & Peter Robinson, 2007.
"Fractional cointegration in stochastic volatility models,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
4534, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- da Silva, Afonso Gonçalves & Robinson, Peter M., 2008. "Fractional Cointegration In Stochastic Volatility Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(05), pages 1207-1253, October.
- Afonso Gonçalves da Silva & Peter M Robinson, 2007. "Fractional Cointegration In StochasticVolatility Models," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series 519, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Robert F. Engle & Giampiero M. Gallo & Margherita Velucchi, 2012. "Volatility Spillovers in East Asian Financial Markets: A Mem-Based Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 94(1), pages 222-223, February.
- Engle, Robert F & Susmel, Raul, 1993. "Common Volatility in International Equity Markets," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(2), pages 167-76, April.
- de Truchis, Gilles, 2013.
"Approximate Whittle analysis of fractional cointegration and the stock market synchronization issue,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 98-105.
- Gilles de Truchis, 2012. "Approximate Whittle Analysis of Fractional Cointegration and the Stock Market Synchronization Issue," AMSE Working Papers 1220, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France.
- Gilles De Truchis, 2012. "Approximate Whittle Analysis of Fractional Cointegration and the Stock Market Synchronization Issue," Working Papers halshs-00793220, HAL.
- Click, Reid W. & Plummer, Michael G., 2005. "Stock market integration in ASEAN after the Asian financial crisis," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 5-28, February.
- Abbas, Qaisar & Khan, Sabeen & Shah, Syed Zulfiqar Ali, 2013. "Volatility transmission in regional Asian stock markets," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(C), pages 66-77.
- Chuang, I-Yuan & Lu, Jin-Ray & Tswei, Keshin, 2007. "Interdependence of international equity variances: Evidence from East Asian markets," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 311-327, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aim:wpaimx:1346. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yves Doazan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.