Explaining Market and Enterprise Structures in the Food Marketing Chain
Our objective in this paper is to review the origins and main points of theories of firm behaviour used in economic theory and strategic management, with particular reference to the food marketing chain. We argue that while neoclassical economics may provide a robust framework in which to understand market outcomes for long run atomistic competition, such as conventionally modelled by agricultural economists, modern developments in both economics and strategic management add substantially to our ability to explain firm and market structures in the food marketing chain.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: ARMIDALE NSW 2351|
Phone: (067) 73 2432
Fax: (067) 73 3596
Web page: http://www.une.edu.au/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brian J. Loasby, 2000. "Market institutions and economic evolution," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 297-309.
- Stanley C. Hollander & Kathleen M. Rassuli (ed.), 0. "Marketing," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, volume 0, number 512.
- R. E. Caves & M. E. Porter, 1977. "From Entry Barriers to Mobility Barriers: Conjectural Decisions and Contrived Deterrence to New Competition," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 91(2), pages 241-261.
- Griffith, G.R., 2000. "Competition in the Food Marketing Chain," 2000 Conference (44th), January 23-25, 2000, Sydney, Australia 171911, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Geoffrey M. Hodgson, 2002. "Darwinism in economics: from analogy to ontology," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 259-281.
- Winter, S. G. & Kaniovski, Y. M. & Dosi, G., 2000.
"Modeling industrial dynamics with innovative entrants,"
Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 255-293, September.
- Sydney Winter & Yuri Kaniovski & Giovanni Dosi, 1999. "Modeling Industrial Dynamics with Innovative Entrants," LEM Papers Series 1999/01, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- S.G. Winter & Y.M. Kaniovski & G. Dosi, 1998. "Modeling Industrial Dynamics with Innovative Entrants," Working Papers ir98022, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- Griffith, Garry R., 2000. "Competition in the food marketing chain," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 44(3), September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:uneewp:12939. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.