Measuring the Economic Rate of Return on Assets
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Birger Wernerfelt & Cynthia A. Montgomery, 1986. "What is an Attractive Industry?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(10), pages 1223-1230, October.
- R. E. Caves & M. E. Porter, 1977. "From Entry Barriers to Mobility Barriers: Conjectural Decisions and Contrived Deterrence to New Competition," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 91(2), pages 241-261.
- Stevens, Guy V. G. & Lipsey, Robert E., 1992.
"Interactions between domestic and foreign investment,"
Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 40-62, February.
- Robert E. Lipsey & Guy V.G. Stevens, 1988. "Interactions between Domestic and Foreign Investment," NBER Working Papers 2714, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Lipsey & Guy V. G. Stevens, 1988. "Interactions between domestic and foreign investment," International Finance Discussion Papers 329, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Martin Feldstein & Lawrence Summers, 1977. "Is the Rate of Profit Falling?," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 8(1), pages 211-228.
- James R. Hines, Jr., 1996. "Tax Policy and the Activities of Multinational Corporations," NBER Working Papers 5589, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Scott, John T & Pascoe, George, 1986. "Beyond Firm and Industry Effects on Profitability in Imperfect Market s," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(2), pages 284-292, May.
- Fisher, Franklin M & McGowan, John J, 1983. "On the Misuse of Accounting Rates of Return to Infer Monopoly Profits," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(1), pages 82-97, March.
- Eisner, Robert & Pieper, Paul J., 1990. "The world's greatest debtor nation?," North American Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 9-32.
- Michael Gort & Rao Singamsetti, 1976. "Concentration and Profit Rates: New Evidence on an Old Issue," NBER Chapters, in: Explorations in Economic Research, Volume 3, number 1, pages 1-20, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mueller, Dennis C, 1977. "The Persistence of Profits above the Norm," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 44(176), pages 369-380, November.
- Cubbin, John & Geroski, Paul A, 1987. "The Convergence of Profits in the Long Run: Inter-firm and Inter-industry Comparisons," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 427-442, June.
- P. Geroski, 1998.
"An Applied Econometrician's View of Large Company Performance,"
Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 13(3), pages 271-294, June.
- Geroski, Paul A, 1998. "An Applied Econometrician's View of Large Company Performance," CEPR Discussion Papers 1862, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Janis Kapler, 1997. "The Theory of Transnational Firms: an empirical reassessment," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(2), pages 195-211.
- Schmalensee, Richard, 1985. "Do Markets Differ Much?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(3), pages 341-351, June.
- Richard P. Rumelt, 1991. "How much does industry matter?," Strategic Management Journal, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 167-185, March.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Juan Carlos Bou & Albert Satorra, 2003. "The persistence of abnormal returns at industry and firm levels," Economics Working Papers 729, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Patricia M. Fairfield & Sundaresh Ramnath & Teri Lombardi Yohn, 2009. "Do Industry‐Level Analyses Improve Forecasts of Financial Performance?," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(1), pages 147-178, March.
- Bernd Görzig & Martin Gornig, 2013.
"Intangibles, Can They Explain the Dispersion in Return Rates?,"
Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 59(4), pages 648-664, December.
- Bernd Görzig & Martin Gornig, 2010. "Intangibles, Can They Explain the Dispersion in Return Rates?," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1018, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Stefan Hirsch, 2018. "Successful In The Long Run: A Metaâ€ Regression Analysis Of Persistent Firm Profits," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(1), pages 23-49, February.
- Tarziján, Jorge & Brahm, Francisco & Daiber, Luis Felipe, 2008. "Entrepreneurial profitability and persistence: Chile versus the U.S.A," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(6), pages 599-608, June.
- Fabio R. Chaddad & Mario P. Mondelli, 2013. "Sources of Firm Performance Differences in the US Food Economy," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(2), pages 382-404, June.
- Louis Amato & Christie Amato, 2000. "The Impact of High Tech Production Techniques on Productivity and Profitability in Selected U.S. Manufacturing Industries," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 16(4), pages 327-342, June.
- Peneder, Michael, 2010.
"Technological regimes and the variety of innovation behaviour: Creating integrated taxonomies of firms and sectors,"
Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 323-334, April.
- Michael Peneder, 2010. "Technological Regimes and the Variety of Innovation Behaviour. Creating Integrated Taxonomies of Firms and Sectors," WIFO Working Papers 362, WIFO.
- Amato, Louis H. & Wilder, Ronald P., 2004. "Global competition and global markets: some empirical results," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 401-416, June.
- Altomonte, Carlo & Nicolini, Marcella, 2012. "Economic integration and the dynamics of firms’ competitive behavior," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 383-402.
- Guan, Jian & Cai, Huaijun & Cao, Youqing, 2015. "Industry versus firm effects on the profit persistence in China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 83-93.
- Stefan Hirsch & Jan Schiefer, 2016. "What Causes Firm Profitability Variation in the EU Food Industry? A Redux of Classical Approaches of Variance Decomposition," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 32(1), pages 79-92, January.
- Anita M. McGahan & Michael E. Porter, 2002. "What Do We Know About Variance in Accounting Profitability?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(7), pages 834-851, July.
- Jan Schiefer & Stefan Hirsch & Monika Hartmann & Adelina Gschwandtner, 2013. "Industry, firm, year and country effects on profitability in EU food processing," Studies in Economics 1309, School of Economics, University of Kent.
- Sumit K. Majumdar & Arnab Bhattacharjee, 2014. "Firms, Markets, and the State: Institutional Change and Manufacturing Sector Profitability Variances in India," Organization Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(2), pages 509-528, April.
- Johan E. Eklund & Emma Lappi, 2019. "Persistence of profits in the EU: how competitive are EU member countries?," Empirica, Springer;Austrian Institute for Economic Research;Austrian Economic Association, vol. 46(2), pages 327-351, May.
- Bhattacharjeean, Arnab & Majumdar, Sumit K., 2011. "How much does industry matter in an emerging market economy?," SIRE Discussion Papers 2011-51, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Oleg Badunenko & Michael Fritsch & Andreas Stephan, 2006. "What Determines the Technical Efficiency of a Firm? The Importance of Industry, Location, and Size," Jenaer Schriften zur Wirtschaftswissenschaft (Expired!) 33/2006, Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Villalonga, Belen, 2004. "Intangible resources, Tobin's q, and sustainability of performance differences," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 205-230, June.
- Tammy L. Madsen & Michael J. Leiblein, 2015. "What Factors Affect the Persistence of an Innovation Advantage?," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(8), pages 1097-1127, December.
More about this item
KeywordsAccounting rate of return; economic rate of return; firm fixed effects; industry fixed effects;
All these keywords.
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:revind:v:17:y:2000:i:4:p:457-463. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Springer Nature Abstracting and Indexing). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.